August 17, 2005

Blogfast 2005

I plan on a blogfast beginning immediately.










[Scroll down]











Okay, it's over.


But seriously, I'm a bit surprised at the lack of posts lately among many reputable, long-established bloggers. Without mentioning any names, such as Jeff C., Bill L., Camassia, Bill W., Steven, Tom & others, I daresay I hope the lack of posts is not due to the summer sag in site statistics (say that five times fast) because we know that the blogger's credo is: if I can help not hurt one person, then it's all been worth it.

The only thing rattling around my head today is why Thoreau was taken so unseriously. He's dismissed as an "adolescent fling" by First Things magazine and admittedly when I liked and read him I was an adolescent, surely coincidental. But why are there so few serious, scholarly biographies of Henry D. Thoreau? Is it because a)he didn't do enough in life (i.e. wife, children, books, etc...) to warrant a full-blown biography? Is it because simplicity isn't inherently interesting to many?

No comments: