May 30, 2008

Hodge Podge of Discontinued Items

A midge-madge of various thoughts to short to garner their own post,..

I began re-reading Walker Percy's The Last Gentleman and I'm amazed by how this single modern fiction author, almost alone (in my experience at least), has such a perfectly pleasant voice. The prose is not self-aggrandizing and is lyrical without being cloying. The tone and pitch is just...well, he could flat out write.

* * *

It's not often I agree with liberal pundit Michael Kinsley, but he was dead-on when he says that a gaffe in Washington is speaking the truth. Why Hillary should be pounded for saying white voters vote for her in large numbers, or that tragic events such as assassinations do happen, is beyond me. It's a measure of her desperation that she mentions these things, but still they are just facts.

* * *

I've not been following the polygamist sect story too closely, although it's one of those battles where you wish BOTH would lose - the government and the cultists. Both are bullies to my mind. I'm guessing that although it's called a polygamist sect it's not really since marriage to more than one person is against the law, last time I checked. So I'm thinking that they are just 'shacking up'. Which is interesting in that it describes how much the word marriage has already been devalued. If marriage was this devalued back in, say, the 1800s, then I suppose the Mormons could still have their polygamy although the marriages would be recognized only by the Mormon church rather than the state?

* * *

Given a choice of liberal pro-abort Democrats with limited experience (Hillary & Obama), Obama seemed the more interesting presidential candidate before the Rev. Wright stuff came out. The idea of someone "transcending race" was heady stuff but it turned out Obama no more transcends race than any of us. That he could hang with Rev. Wright for 20 years would be understandable if it was about influencing Wright for the better, as Victorian British Prime Minister Gladwell was said to frequent prostitutes in order to preach Christianity to them. (There's no evidence that he did anything other than talk to them, by the way.)

* * *

Mrs. Darwin wins today's "honesty in blogging" (shortened to 'blogesty') award. I feel a twinge of guilt as we (my brother & sister and I) often drove my mother to sheer lunacy. We didn't understand it at the time, but now we do, at least to some extent. The post certainly put me right there and I experienced it vicariously such that I wanted to beat the 4-year old. Tangentially related, I'm sort of hyp-mo-tized by the thought of a 5-yr old being precocious enough to tape record his teacher. I can't even remember when I was five years old.

No comments: