June 03, 2008

         

Interesting that unless we pray we will never be "ready to understand" and our hearts will never be open. Every solution always comes back to prayer!

- Jim of "Bethune Catholic", after quoting the following from the author of "Left to Tell" about the Rwandan holocaust:
"I was certain that God had a greater purpose for me, and I prayed every day for Him to reveal it to me. At first I was expecting Him to show me my entire future all at once-maybe with a flash of lightning and a clap of thunder thrown in for good measure. But I came to learn that God never shows us something we aren't ready to understand. Instead, He lets us see what we need to see, when we need to see it. He'll wait until our eyes and hearts are open to Him, and then when we're ready, He will plant our feet on the path that's best for us ... but it's up to us to do the walking."
A couple of years ago, I went to a special Wednesday-during-Lent Mass, celebrated by a priest from another parish. As I recall, he wore some ridiculous tie-dyed vestment, engaged in various uncalled-for ad-libbing during Mass and...on the way home, I was talking to my daughter about this and struggling, as we often have to do, with how to talk about something so ridiculous without diminishing her respect for the clergy. In short, how not to turn her into a cynic. And so, while I was talking, it came to me to say, “Well, no, I really didn’t like what he did. And some of those things he did - you’re right, he wasn’t supposed to do them. But you know what? I’ve got a call to live and be a certain way as a Christian, and there’s no way that I can say of myself that I do a perfect job. He stumbled, I stumble. “ A long, long time ago, when I was writing columns for the Florida Catholic, I tossed off a piece about homilies, saying (it makes me cringe to think about it) that I’d heard maybe 3 good homilies in the past five years. Alittle while later, the parish DRE told me that the pastor had made a reference to that column, saying, “Well, I think I’ve had 3 good congregations in the past five years.” Ouch. - Amy Welborn

In the patristic period, disputes within and among local churches were submitted to the Bishop of Rome for adjudication. So here's my proposal and my test-case: let Father Jenkins send Pope Benedict XVI a copy of [Eve] Ensler's "play," asking the pope whether he considers this material appropriate for production or useful for discussion on a Catholic campus. - George Weigel

The sentimental cheering about how the heroic youth of the present will undo Baby Boomer vandalism still feeds contempt for the past. Those youths too will grow up someday. If they deeply imbibe the flattery about themselves being the "wave of the future," in their maturity they'll be just as insufferable as today's aging hipsters. - Kevin Jones of Philokalia

His Spanish-language ad has Obama explaining that "I was born on an island" and so he understands Puerto Ricans' concerns about high prices etc. Well I just want to say, me too! I was born on an island (Manhattan island) and I too understand high prices. And, I grew up around a lot more Puerto Ricans than Obama did. Vote for me! - Jonah Goldberg on "The Corner"

To say, "I felt like beating my children the other day" -- and to mean it seriously -- is a terrible thing to acknowledge, especially for homeschoolers who feel like the CPS lurks under every rock. But some days it's the simple truth, no matter how ugly it sounds. And some days "I didn't beat my children" is a statement of accomplishment, even though it's an accomplishment that will never be praised or held up as an example. You can't expect any gratitude from your kids: they'll remember your one negative action with ten times more clarity than the thousands of times you were patient. You can't expect any sympathy from the culture, because why on earth do you keep having kids when you can't control the ones you have? - - Mrs. Darwin of "Darwin Catholic"

I have 5 moms all due or overdue. - Alicia of "Fructus Ventris", which sounds vaguely polygamistic until you recall she's a mid-wife.

Now THIS is a Mission Statement. - Kevin of "Toledo Catholic" concerning Heidelberg Distributing's:
"'Life Roars Through Us'
That's our mission at Heidelberg! We represent wonderful beverages that help you celebrate everyday life. Our family of associates work diligently in all areas of sales, operations, customer service and delivery to get these beverages to retailers in your community. Cheers!

It took me years before I finally “got” Mary and the language of Catholic piety towards her. There is a bit of a theological problem when it comes to the failure of the medieval mind to attribute mercy to the Holy Trinity - but it’s not a fatal problem, and in the end it proves not to be true, because it is the Holy Trinity Who ultimately gave mankind the Mother of Divine Grace. God knows that for most men, the most convincing face of mercy is feminine. - Jeff of "Stony Creek Digest"

Do you realize that Jesus is there in the tabernacle expressly for you, for you alone? He burns with desire to come into your heart.-St. Therese orginally of Lisieux, now of Heaven

No comments: