July 28, 2008

Shaidle's Revelatory Moment

The path that led Kathy Shaidle from anarchism to conservative began with an odd revelation: Ronald Reagan wasn't the devil because he ate. She was watching a snippet of a state dinner on television, and he was up on the dais listening to a guy at the microphone and...
He held a forkful of food to his mouth, put it in and started chewing. That's when I stopped hating Ronald Reagan. I owned punk rock albums with his face, disfigured, on the cover. I’d been chanting “Ronald Reagan/he's no good/send him back to Hollywood” pretty much every weekend for, what, five years at that point? People made dart boards with his face on it, burned him in effigy, put on Ronald Reagan Halloween masks and did goofy street theatre at our demos. My then-boyfriend was sitting right beside me, muttering something, smoking my cigarettes again. Could he tell? I just stared straight ahead...

No comments: