July 26, 2008

Steven Shoots & Scores

When employees are treated worse than disposable diapers, Steven hits back:
I always say, "There are not enough people for that" or "We do not have enough staff to manage that." It's a small way of continuing to point out that people are people and staplers and paper are resources.
Eggsactly.

I find it endlessly fascinating how it is that women allow themselves to be beaten by their spouse or boyfriend. "But he loves me!" they say, and go back to him despite the beatings. Or perhaps it's that they don't feel they have a lot of other options economically. But then why was Errol Flynn more interesting to most women than someone more unthreatening? Why do so many women put up with men who cheat on them? I can tell you my wife wouldn't.

Similarly I'm fascinated in how it comes that employees allow themselves to be treated like chattel. Free markets are by definition double-sided, yet we employees assume the employer has all the power despite the lack of a slave labor market in this country. It's one of the mysteries of life for me, as one who would polish my resume and send it out if my employer expected even 50 hours a week. I suspect fear is a great motivator and employees on balance have much greater fear than employers. And yet there are plenty of employers in the sea.

It also reminds me of how we complain bitterly of politicians lying while at the same time demanding they lie, as Ave Maria radio host Al Kresta brilliantly pointed out on Friday. He said the fault lies in not just with politicans but with the voters who want politicians to lie because we find the truth so unpalatable. Kresta pointed out how Phil Graham recently spoke the truth and how we are not in a recession but he was excorciated for it. Liberal Michael Kinsley said the same thing in his famous line about how a Washington gaffe is when someone tells the truth.

No comments: