July 31, 2008

Thoughts Aloud   -alternative title "Thoughts Allowed!"

This just in: Ken Griffey Jr. dealt to the Chicago White Sox, his approval pending.

* * *

Paradox in the spiritual life (i.e. reconciling free will v. God's sovereignty, the presence of evil in a God-made world, etc...) is to be expected. If God were capable of being well understood by us than that would be a god on par with us.

* * *

I have a scapular with St. Michael the Archangel on one side and a Cross on the other with the saying "Conquer by this". It's interesting how I tend to emphasize one or the other as I retrieve it in the morning. I used to emphasize St. Michael ("defend us in battle") but now I mostly just remind myself that we must conquer by the cross. It's odd that it's so either/or, when it should be and/both - i.e. we are being helped and we must cooperate.

* * *

Adulthood sometimes seems primarily a process of undermining faulty assumptions made in youth.

* * *

It's been a source of insatiable curiosity: what did Rev. Richard Neuhaus have against William F. Buckley's theology? There was no elaboration on that subject in the First Things issue after WFB's death, but I have to admit I do wonder. I read WFB's book "Nearer My God" and nothing stood out for me as being "wrong" although obviously my knowledge of theology isn't close to either Buckley's or Neuhaus's so perhaps the differences between them would be lost on me.

* * *

The corporate steeplechase seems a bit like the game of monopoly, only you don't acquire hotels but just try to avoid pitfalls such as downsizings and endure the latest management fads (which are all painful though they differ greatly in intensity).

The hottest new managerial trend must be individual meetings with every employee. Call it mandatory feedback. I've been scheduled for a 15 min meeting with my bosses' bosses' boss (I hate plurals; no emails pls for any grammatic incorrectness). Also a 30 minute with my bosses' boss. Last year I had 30 minutes with another high level dude and now I've heard that my bosses' bosses' bosses' boss is having eight-on-one lunches.

August is a traditionally slow month around here and when management is bored they have things like this. The worst thing is that I have to look presentable and try to be semi-coherent which, depending on the day and time, can be a challenge. *end silly complaint*

* * *

From the ridiculous to the very sad: if you might spare a prayer for my uncle, who was just diagonsed with AML Leukemia, I would appreciate it.

No comments: