November 25, 2008

         

Every man is wise when attacked by a mad dog; fewer when pursued by a mad woman; only the wisest survive when attacked by a mad notion. - Robertson Davies

Though [Gerard Manley] Hopkins scrupled over his love of nature-infused poetry (wondering whether the art was suspect for its worldliness and emphasis on delights of the senses), his instincts were correct. As Hans Urs van Balthasar wrote in Seeing the Form, “The resurrection of the flesh vindicates the poets in a definitive sense: the aesthetic scheme of things, which allows us to possess the infinite within the finitude of form (however it is seen, understood, or grasped spiritually), is right.” - John Murphy in Godspy via "For Keats' Sake"

Last year The Passion of the Christ film was shown throughout the Muslim world to overflowing theatres. Never before had any Christian medium impacted the lives of tens of millions of Muslims. Missionaries in the Middle East rejoiced that more people had seen The Passion in a single day in their city than they had been able to show the Jesus film in the previous four years of full-time missionary work! While the Jesus film was illegal and could only be shown secretly, at great risk, The Passion was being openly screened in the shopping mall cinemas! This, taken along with the phenomenal response to SAT-7, a Christian mission broadcasting Gospel programmes in Arabic throughout the Middle East, is also unprecedented. - Rolf of "Western Civilization and Culture"

Anthropomorphism, or the search for a human face, is a common theme in the history of man....The human person desires to look upon the world with awareness and to feel the look of the real gazing back upon him and her with sentience. This profoundly human desire should not be brushed aside like a gnat, but should be recognized as a sign, something which points us beyond itself. And where does this sign point? Only those who take it seriously will discover. - Frederick of "Broken Alabaster"

God is everywhere, but that doesn't mean we always see Him. God is like subtext. Sometimes we don't see the subtextual forest for the textual trees. - Sancta Sanctis

Mr. Brende makes mention of a tribe in Africa whose members work only 2-3 hours per week to live (gathering nuts and berries). The rest is leisure time. The trend is there: the more (and more advanced) technology that a society has, the more the members have to work to maintain it. There is a balance between being enslaved by our desire for comfort provided by technology and the nut and berry gatherers mentioned herein before. Each of us must decide that balance for ourselves ... - Jim of Bethune Catholic

Green movement is gangrenous: Presumably named after the chlorophyll-based color of living plants, the Green Movement has told those same plants to prepare for a permanent diet of less carbon dioxide. - RB of Social Engineer

I chose to interpret my new habit of daily Mass attendance as a sign of long-awaited spiritual maturity at best and a sneaky attempt to strike a bargain with God at worst; but Antony saw through my crap immediately. Nevertheless, a good two weeks passed before he managed to convince me that I wasn't just innocently meditating on Scripture. What I was really doing, you see, was turning the Liturgy of the Word into my personal oracle. As Mark Renton would say, my dependency simply shifted from straightforward divination to a backwards approach to the Mass. Divination is a habit. (Perhaps all sins are, if we commit them regularly enough.) In my youth, I fell into the habit of treating everything as some kind of sign; and apparently I haven't dug myself out of it yet. - Sancta Sanctis

It is important to observe that nowhere does Holy Scripture speak of call and election in a negative way, as though God deliberately chose not to call some human beings to salvation—as though some human beings were somehow outside of God’s love and care. Call and election are always spoken of in positive terms in Holy Scripture, never negative terms. - - Patrick Henry Reardon of "Touchstone"

Last night someone told me that the rumor sailing around DC is that George W. Bush will become a Catholic upon leaving office. Anyone else heard this? Will definitively establish us as a church of sinners! - Margaret Steinfels at Commonweal reminds me why I don't read Commonweal; via Terrence Berres

I have noticed that intelligence does not make it easier to keep the needs of the heart foremost. If the intelligence that I have does not help me be more faithful then I doubt that great intelligence will either... Something else is needed, and the Church calls this something grace. It occurs to me that the notion I have of grace is amorphous, vague: a cloud, a force, something interior or psychological. But Scripture and Tradition insist upon angels: intelligent agents that are unfailingly faithful to the will of the Father. I look again at the visible world: the wild variety of plants and birds and life: the diversity of human forms and temperaments. Why should not the invisible world be every bit as articulated and diverse as this? ... A Boy Scout in the woods recognizes the great diversity and order of life — he knows the names of things. If I feel that grace is amorphous and vague, then likely it's from the same cause: I never bothered to learn the names and seasons and order and in short, I lack familiarity with grace. - Frederick of "Broken Alabaster"

I recall one of my Scripture professors in the seminary, a man who had struggled heroically against alcoholism and won, saying that the Psalms provide a better study in human emotion than anything we find in the writings of Freud. - - quote via Dylan of "dark speech upon the harp", author unknown

Blessed O Lord and these my gifts which we are about to receive from my bounty, through Christ Our Lord. Amen. - prayer of seven-year old Joseph, son of Michael Dubriel & Amy Welborn

1 comment:

Thomas D said...

That quotation on Freud and the Psalms: I think I have a source for it! Protect Us from All Anxiety by Fr William Burke. Not absolutely certain, but 88% sure.