January 27, 2009

Spanning the Globe to Bring You the Constant Variety of Posts

Just yesterday, a Catholic woman who had previously been a Baptist told me that she often feels that many Catholics do not realize what a gift they are receiving in the Eucharist—that they are receiving Jesus Christ. I took it to heart, for I know I have been guilty of it myself. I once contemplated writing a book about the Midwest entitled “In the Ruins of Catholicism.” When I lived up there, I often visited abandoned shrines, monasteries, and churches—all now closed. They spoke of a glorious day in the distant past. Why did they cease to exist? People stopped caring, I presume. Here the Church is thriving, new buildings are going up, new shrines are dedicated, and thriving religious communities are filled with young souls. Let us never forget the first zeal we felt at the onset of our Christian journey; but if we have forgotten our “first love” (Revelation 2:4), let us start afresh to ever watch for Him in the people and places around us – in our immediate daily life and be mindful that He comes to us in the Blessed Sacrament. - Michael Dubruiel of "Annunciations"

I agree with a bit of this post at the Volokh Conspiracy critiquing the inaugural gestalt that seems more in common with a monarchy than a republic founded, in part, out of a desire for limited government. This is not an Obama issue. It’s an issue related to the increasingly vexing matter of the role of the president in American government and life. I say “increasingly vexing” because I do believe the confusion and pressure is getting worse as government grows. I thought about this often during the campaign, particularly during the debates. Think about it - these candidates are put up there in the debate context, not allowed to use any notes or references, and are expected to be comfortably expert on any and every aspect of domestic and foreign policy that might affect a nation of 300 million people as evidenced by their ability to speak extemporaneously and unaided. Why? Does this expectation meet in any way the realities of presidential decision and policy-making? - Amy Welborn

After that long campaign I had no idea [Obama] was one of us!
"We will not apologize for our way of life, nor will we waver in its defense, and for those who seek to advance their aims by inducing terror and slaughtering innocents, we say to you now that our spirit is stronger and cannot be broken; you cannot outlast us, and we will defeat you."
Strong words against the abortion mafia. - Bill of Summa Minutiae, who hat tipped Ellyn of Oblique House

On Assumed Transitivity and Proof By Counterexample - - actual title of Zippy Catholic post

This is my fourth year redressing the lack of Dinosaur Media coverage with an online photo journal...Following 2007 and 2008, when marchers each year numbered 200,000, we wondered what would happen in 2009 - two days following the inauguration of the most proudly pro-abortion president in this sad episode of our nation's history. This year there were 300,000! I stood on a column in front of the Department of Labor for 2 1/2 hours shooting over 700 pictures. - Barbara, mother of twelve and of "Mommy Life"

Crowd estimates are a thankless task and anyone who has seen the estimates for the Obama inaugural crowd ranging from 800,000 to 1.8 million can understand that. But the headline for this Associated Press video of this year’s March for Life actually had me gasping:
Scores March Against Abortion
Scores? As in groups of 20? Really? Really? I literally have nothing to say about that headline. A GetReligion first: a headline so unfair and inaccurate that I’m left without anything to say. - GetReligion blog

Excommunications Lifted; Media Ignorance Descends - title of a post on Maureen's "Aliens in this World"

Writing is the only profession where no one considers you ridiculous if you earn no money. - Jules Renard

While reading blog comments this week, I've noticed that the same question comes up over and over from the other side: "Why does the right refuse to shut up about abortion?" Ooooooh, pick me! Pick me! For the same reason that the Jews refuse to shut up about the Holocaust. - Karen of "Some Have Hats"

[Now] the weirdest hope. The hope that an Obama presidency will “change” America. Or buck us up as a country. Or make things all better, not because of a policy, but because this guy and his nice family is in the White House. No check. Don’t get it. The first thought that comes to me are general questions about how one discerns a country’s “mood” anyway. I know it is common to do so, and a convenient shorthand for how we view history, but I am unconvinced that it ever has any validity, except perhaps in exceptionally dramatic moments in time such as during or after a war. Reading Obama’s speech - and recalling some of his more important campaign speeches - one senses that the primary problem the United States faces is a crisis of identity, purpose and self-regard. We have lost hope, we need to be recharged and inspired again. I seriously have no idea what any of this means. When I look at the primary problems facing the United States, I see two: the threat of terrorism and a new kind of war-making, and the economy. Neither of these issues are related to emotions or a need to retrieve a lost vision of hope. The economy, in particular, is a complex, global and extremely technical problem that requires clear-headed, objective problem-solvers to even begin to get a handle on. Ideological and even sentimental patriotic language serves to obscure, not solve the problem. - Amy Welborn

I have learned from a reliable source that James Dobson recently prayed for Barack Obama that he might have uneasy nights. When I passed this suggestion on to a friend who was urging us all to pray for Obama (following the scriptural command), he was inclined to think such a prayer mean-spirited, or at least to think that if he prayed it, it would be mean-spirited. I cannot speak for my friend, and of course he must follow his conscience in this matter. But I do not believe that such a prayer is mean-spirited. In fact, I believe it is quite important...The scriptural injunction to pray for kings is unequivocal. So I think that Dobson's idea is a very good one. It is not to wish ill on a man as badly wrong as Barack Obama to wish that he may be made uncomfortable by his conscience in the areas where he is wrong. It is, in fact, to wish him great good. Nor are the pro-life issues I am most thinking of (and they are only some of the issues) merely "political." They are moral, and it is a grave and potentially soul-destroying sin for one to further the pro-death agenda as Obama has done and intends to continue to do. The grace of God does not come to us comfortably. All who are Christians know this. Christ sometimes, indeed, appears to us as disaster. I do not mean personal and physical disaster, though of course God can use that for good as well, but rather that sense of an imminent overturning of one's categories, that sense that one may be called upon to do something one very much does not want to do, that sense that good is good, and bad is bad, that God is good, but that one may not after all be on His side. - Lydia McGrew of "What's Wrong With the World?"

2 comments:

Lydia McGrew said...

Thanks for the quote!

I think one of my favorites among these is "Ooh, pick me! Pick me! For the same reason the Jews refuse to shut up about the Holocaust!"

It has that great combination of humor and seriousness that sticks in the mind.

zippy said...

I just wanted to see how many comments I could get on a post with that title. 70 and counting, ka-chow! Though in fairness that is because it has devolved into an off-topic sola scriptura shootout between a couple of commenters.