February 10, 2009

Spanning the Globe to Bring You the Constant Variety of Posts

Doug asked Father Benedict to elaborate on something that Father had called the “big lie” in his book. The “big lie,” Father Benedict said, (and I’m paraphrasing him at this point), is to think that if we say all the right prayers and live correctly, then nothing bad will ever happen to us. Sadly, there are many good people who have lost their faith by believing such a lie, and that makes it a big one indeed! One only has to think of Jesus Christ, the sinless Son of God, and how much He suffered on the cross, to correct one’s view on this matter…None of us knows what the future holds, but hopefully we can embrace what is inscribed in our coinage, “In God we Trust." - Michael Dubruiel's last column

In the year 2000, I think I might have heard the word “blog”. I didn’t know half as much about my faith as I thought I did. All sorts of things were waiting, good and bad, and he’d be one of the people who would anchor me and others through them — but most of us hadn’t even heard his name, or Amy’s name. If he had died back then, it would have been a sad newspaper story in Ft. Wayne and a few comments in Catholic websites and publications. Not a worthless life by far, but not quite as shining a one, either. So it seems that it’s not a matter of “Why did God allow him to die so young?”, but rather “Why did God let him live? How many more years did God give him than he might have had?” Apparently God wanted him to have more little children, to do great things in the blogosphere that had just come into being, to stand by Amy’s side for a few more years. And apparently, now his work is done. Hard as it is for poor Amy and the kids, in this case it seems that God decided the time was ripe — or not unripe, anyway.- Maureen of "Aliens in this World"

Many thanks for all of the prayers and notes. It is overwhelming. Many have asked what they can do of a material or concrete nature. All I can say is to simply buy his books. Not from me, because I am in no position to fill orders, but from anywhere else. He long ago promised God that he would give all the royalties of The How To Book of the Mass to the children’s college funds, which he did faithfully. It is in good shape because of that. Buy them, read them, and give them away to others. Spread the Word. That is what he was all about. - Amy Welborn Dubruiel, via "Musings of a Catholic Bookstore" blog

I myself do not think the Freedom of Choice Act—which would, among other things, mandate that every medical student be trained to perform abortions—will pass in this Congress. But the very fact that it has been proposed is clearly a salvo in what will surely be an epochal battle. The bill is flagrantly unconstitutional; but that is hardly consolation, since the same holds true of Roe vs. Wade. Liberal creep, in other words, means a slow drift toward coercive liberalism. - Edward Oakes via "Paragraph Farmer"

All I want to say is, I’m sorry. I want to say it here, because I defended Fr. Maciel here, and I need to be on the record regarding that defense: I’m sorry, to the victims, who were victims twice, the second time by calumny. I’m sorry, to the Church, which has been damaged. I’m sorry, to those I’ve misled. I did it unwittingly, but this isn’t a time for excuses. The Church gave me great, great good in Regnum Christi. The Church did bring justice, and did penalize this man. Thank God for the Church. I seek repentance and forgiveness, and I leave it at that. - Tom Hoopes on Amy Welborn's blog

In my experience, I have little doubt that the desire to be set apart catalyzed much of my study. I wanted to be smarter, more knowledgeable, better at debate, than others, so I read and read and read. As I read, I underwent an unwitting transformation, where I began to realize that true knowledge dovetails with wisdom, and the beginning of wisdom is humility in the face of knowing you know nearly nothing next to the All-Knowing. At that point, it seems the desire for knowledge is pursued for no particular reason. Now I just read. Not to set myself apart (hopefully), but because I want to know, to understand, and maybe contribute to others knowing and understanding—all the while trying to keep a sure eye on my ego to keep it in check because, whenever one starts out to do something good, you never know if it’s ego or love, self-regard or other-regard, that triggers it. - Eric of "The Daily Eudemon"

Taking a vacation day to clean was a practical and spiritual mistake. Better that I had stayed with my initial plans to prepare for my sister's visit by putting 40 watt bulbs in all the sockets - aka the "Blanche DuBois" maneuver. - Ellyn of "Oblique House"

When moralizing conservatives get caught, say, cheating on their wives or challenging stall mates to robust Greco-Roman wrestling in airport bathrooms, liberals justifiably howl at the hypocrisy of it all. When liberals fail to pay taxes it’s merely, to borrow an old catchphrase from Daschle, “sad and disappointing,” but ultimately not that big a deal. If Democrats are serious about their arguments for raising taxes, shouldn’t they be downright giddy about paying what they already owe? And shouldn’t they loathe tax cheating more than anything? - Jonah Goldberg

I’m skeptically impressed that most Catholics don’t need a book aid before or after communion.... If I don’t use a book, my mind almost always wanders. I’m in good company, though. St. Theresa Avila said she feared approaching prayer without a book. I’m in her camp: start with a book, and if unaided prayer takes over, put the book down - Eric of "The Daily Eudemon"

"In people who pursue the spiritual life, you can distinguish two ways. The first strives for the love of God through the virtues. They mortify themselves in a spirit of penance; they practice humility because justice demands it; they obey because duty demands it. These moral virtues are geared toward restoring order in the soul and, little by little, they will lead on to the sphere of perfect charity. Others take an opposite way. These immediately look to love. This is the virtue they wish to acquire . . . For them, this queen of virtues is, so to say, the only virtue from which all the others flow." [Achille Durant C.SS.R] I'm reminded that God's way with each human heart is personal and individual. Is one more valuable because of feelings and expressions of devotion? Or is another more admirable because of its strength in fidelity, fortitude and sense of justice? Though there are differences of degree (and we keep pressing on to make him our own because of Christ Jesus who has made us his own), we are different from one another as an orchid and a waterfall differ. Each beautifully glorifies God, not by resembling one another, but by displaying something unique God has created. - Roz of Exultet

Turn left and try to not to gasp as a courier bicyclist avoids instant death by dealing a hearty slap on the fender of a cab moving right toward the curb. How does a person live with such encroachment? The cabbie brakes and waits for the tender soul to pass: there is a respect even here for the fragility of human tissue versus money-making metal....There is no bell curve of beauty here. Like Paris, the inhabitants are either beautiful or ugly. And even the ugly have a beauty all their own....Turn left on 56th and it's more of the same. Activity breeds activity. The buildings seem to be packed full of people who can't wait to hit the streets. After watching a continuous stream of people issue forth, it is natural to assume the building is now empty. But that assumption would be wrong wrong wrong. There are always more people inside....Pad softly past the news stand with the invisible vendor snuggled down into an unknown depth of glossy merchandise. Oh, there is a young man who desires to make a purchase and up pops the man of the store....Back to the apartment building now, nod thanks to the doorman and let your eyes take inventory of the lobby. See the business man with the sun tan that only comes from flying a window seat above the clouds. See the model, see the immigrant twice-removed, see the energy of charmed lives living in a City that moves. - Hambone of "Social Engineer" on NYC

Zippy is the future monarch of the Catholic kingdom of Zippydom, where statutes are enacted in accordance with natural law, theology and moral ethics are required courses starting in the 3rd grade, and the king shows his beneficence by taking everyone for a ride in his airplane. - Bill Luse, on the query asked of Lydia McGrew: "Who is Zippy Catholic?"

I think it was one of the things that put him at odds with the majority of his peers as American writers - both the kind of patriotism he felt and the kind of religion that he practiced. - Adam Gopnik on John Updike

Minister reading wedding vows on a kindle, must be marrying nerds. - Gizmodo blogger concering video while live-blogging amazon press conference

You felt lucky to be reading someone who felt lucky to be alive. - Phil Albinus, on John Updike

2 comments:

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

On ugly Parisians who have a beauty all their own: the French actually have a term for it, though it's mostly used for women.

La jolie laide--a woman who is considered beautiful not because of any perfection of her features, but because of her vitality and spark.

MaryH said...

darn! ;)