August 25, 2009

Spanning the Globe to Bring You the Constant Variety of Posts

There is the matter of being thrilled and excited in general. I wrote about this a bit in relationship to this summer’s travels. 6.5 months in, those emotions are not part of my vocabulary again yet. I even feel guilty contemplating a time in which they might return. It doesn’t seem right. (I am not saying this is right. Just being honest. Faith and loss fight a battle every day. Faith is winning. Slowly.)...
But the Lord is waiting to be gracious to you,
to rise and take pity on you,
for the Lord is a just God;
happy are all who hope in him
(Ps. 54. Office of Readings today) - Amy Welborn on her blog

I called my sister to complain that my life was not a Jane Austen novel. She had recently completed another military move, and was struggling to get her footing in a new location with her six children. “Don’t you think that’s a universal feeling?” she said, “I’d just been envying you, being able to put down roots with your little house by Mom and Dad.” And of course it’s a universal feeling: everyone else is having a good time while I’m not. It’s the chronic existential loneliness that rears its head when I am cut off from the vine. I’ve felt the looming darkness coming on for a long time—I could postpone it by continuing to do enjoyable things, like renting romantic movies. But the movies end, and then I have to deal with the fact that this summer has been a spiritual train wreck for me. - Betty Duffy

Mary’s confusion at the Annunciation reflects her spiritual poverty. We always experience confusion and perplexity when God descends into our lives. These purifications are passive—God is causing the growth by bringing about some crisis in our lives, in the Church, etc. We use these experiences as a trampoline to bounce off of and land in the arms of Jesus.” “Sanctity is not moral perfection, or success (a heresy of Americanism, he said), or psychic maturity, all of which are focused on the self. Instead, it is the meeting of our weakness with God, who loves us.” - Fr. Giertych via Betty Duffy

One of the things I immediately have grown to love about living in a religious community is the fact that I have a chapel right in my residence, in this case a very large and beautiful chapel. It was so nice on Sunday night after getting all ready for bed just walking down the stairs and entering the chapel, praying the Rosary in front of the Blessed Sacrament, and then going upstairs straight to bed. It was a beautiful and peaceful end to a very exciting first day. I got up early the next morning, around 5:30 or so. I was the only one up so I made coffee and prayed the Divine Office. I then went into the chapel and prayed the Rosary and just sat there a while in blessed silence. - from a seminarian at "Psalm 46:11 - a Journey to Truth"

[About not being able to stave off crisis with good behavior. I've heard that the most saintly among us even ask for affliction rather than trying to avoid it, so that they can feel more deeply the suffering of Jesus. Not something I've ever played around with, but I hear that people do. I would think that rootedness in prayer gives one an anchor and rudder when crises do arise--or maybe not. I'm remembering a quote by someone that abandonment to the will of God is like being a cork floating on the waves. So maybe the "meeting of our weakness with God, who loves us" is about all I'm capable of understanding at the moment. - Betty Duffy

2 comments:

Darwin said...

Wow. Does Betty get any kind of award for having her blog cited three times in one Spanning The Globe?

TS said...

Well only two direct quotes...though that likely ties a record. No question she's dominated my blog-reading of late.