November 06, 2009

Let's Play....

...why's my bookbag or e-reader equivalent so heavy?

It's a cornucopia of reads I'm juggling, including but not precluding Bob Greene's "Late Edition" (a lament for the demise of the newspaper industry), Ralph Martin's "The Fulfillment of All Desire", Norman Stone's "World War One: A Short History" and Michael Chabon's "Manhood for Amateurs".

Still looking at "The Autobiography of Parley Pratt". "The Whiskey Rebels" by David Liss looks interesting.

Speaking of whiskey, heard an interview not long ago with bluegrass legend Ralph Stanley. Stanley, who comes from deep Bible belt country and records a lot of hymns, was so bold as to say that he didn’t like that his co-religionists are so anti-alcohol.

He may even owe his life to spirits - on those long road trips, driving at 3am, sometimes it was the constant nips of whiskey that kept him awake. It’s politically incorrect in these days of MADness, but there’s a truth to it. I’ve always found alcohol to be a stimulant in the short run, probably because of its euphoric effect. I look back now on those certain sleepless nights in the past and wish I’d have had the carelessness and foresight to treat myself gently, by drinking madly. It may or may not have eventually led to sleep, but it would’ve calmed my nerves concerning the lack thereof. Of course it isn't a longterm solution but..but I can picture ol’ Ralph tucking some whiskey ‘neath is belt on those late night hours singing to himself and bandmates gospel hymns.

No comments: