November 09, 2009

Various

Archbishop Chaput's list of books he wishes every Catholic would read. Via the Rozinator.
____

Happened across a verse by verse bible commentary. Not sure who's behind it.
____

Buddy the Wonder Dog is semper helpful. He sees me, on consecutive days, scrubbing the carpet with Nature’s Miracle in order to remove a cat urine odor, and I find him later, on separate occasions, rubbing that spot with his coat as if to take on the odors of the world in my stead. And he whose nose is far better than mine. Or maybe he did it because he wanted me to rub his coat instead of the floor. Or maybe he likes the smell.

Buddy, whose motto is: "Let no smell go unsmelled!"
____

So where are the grey November days of poem and bitter song? Not here, not yet. Today was sunny and 63 degrees, the sort of day minus the wind I could bike ride. I took Buddy on a hike at Prairie Oak out of a sense of obligation, to pay my respects to Mother Sun. The Psalmist writes that we are to praise God’s love in the morning, His truth at night. I understand the love in the morning, given that the refreshment and gift of the new day and the climbing sun. But truth in the night? Christ is the way, the truth and the life so we are to praise Christ at night for He is the one who took on death/night and devoured it.

____

The Word Among Us has for sale Jesus’ Sacred Heart 2010 Prayer Journal with plenty of space for writing. This seems appealing, as does a Bible with wide margins available for marginalia, but I doubt I’d use either given my penchant for the word processor.

Fine meditation on worry in the latest issue of “Word Among Us” regarding. It’s a review of the book “Surrendering Our Stress”: “the author states that ‘worrying is often directed toward all the ‘what ifs’ in our lives.’ But then she gives an effective antidote to worry: ‘Tell God what we need and be confident that he will answer our prayers.’”

The meditation also says:
“Learning to redefine personal struggles and stresses as testing, rather than considering them afflictions, provides an opportunity for growth. I thought of Job, who lost his children and wealth, and had to endure the discouraging counsel of his wife and friends, but reframed his devastation by thinking on a higher level. His proclamation, “I know that my Redeemer lives” (Job 19:25), reveals a heart yielded to God and focused on ultimate reality. I also thought of Corrie ten Boom, imprisoned in a Nazi concentration camp: Every day, she redefined her horrible circumstances as an opportunity to evangelize and draw others to the Lord.”
In the readings from Mass the other day there were a couple of lines that struck me, such as: “Christ…will appear a second time, not to take away sin but to bring salvation to those who eagerly await him.” That’s the passage that got me thinking about the two comings of Christ and how each has a separate purpose. If we live without assurance of our final salvation, we do live with knowledge that we are forgiven from sin. Too often I fail to appreciate the latter by focusing on the former.

2 comments:

William Luse said...

"I find him later, on separate occasions, rubbing that spot with his coat..."

He's marking the territory, sending the cat a message.

TS said...

Ah yes, that makes sense.