December 14, 2009

Kindleoscopy

The downside of Kindle and other electronic readers is well-documented in the link above - including the further dependency on the electrical grid, though at this point I'm so already on the grid that I figure I have to dance with the grid that brung me. Anyway, I had to laugh at the rogue commenter who said the following:
I’d go out and get a Kindle but I’m too busy rubbing sticks together to make a fire and the wood is wet dammit. When I caint no longer get my free assortment of arcane books from the Concept who traffics in used books on the internets, maybe I’ll go get one of these fancy gadgets but I’ll likely go to the library first.

Do they have an aerosol scent can to spray mouldering scents upon the Kindle, can one hang a Mildew imbued Paper Pine Tree Scent from one’s reading glasses? Can one make notations amid the text in a Kindle? Can one be used to prop a short table leg up? Do they hit with the same resounding thud upon the skull whence firing missiles at the Missus? Can they be easily avoided whence the fired missile is returning?Inquiring minds need to know.

4 comments:

Jim Curley said...

Several of the comments in the piece (or at least 2) mentioned the ability to make notations in the margins of "real" books. I assume then that Kindle doesn't have this feature-but wouldn't that be something for them to work on? It shouldn't be too hard for them to do. If they read this, Amazon can send me the royalties when its implemented.

TS said...

My understanding is that you can make notations, although it's cumbersome. The key for me is the ability to bookmark & I can do that quite easily. I would highlight more if it were easier.

Convenor said...

Would you mind letting your readers know about the December issue of our twice-yearly journal 'CHRISTVS REGNAT', which tries to bring something 'new' to the field of thought and study of Catholic heritage, biography, history, music, spirituality and liturgy here in Ireland - especially in the light of Pope Benedict XVI's 'Summorum Pontificum':

http://catholicheritage.blogspot.com/2009/12/christvs-regnat-december-2009.html

It would also be very kind of you of you could link/follow/blogroll our blog:

http://catholicheritage.blogspot.com/

Please pray for me!

God bless you!

St. Conleth's Catholic Heritage Association

Steven Riddle said...

Dear TSO,

Not only can you, but I do so all the time. The main problem with it is that the notation process either increases the "bulk" of the book or causes some other effect so that in the end if highly annotated, the book opens rather slowly until all the annotation have been "absorbed" by Kindle processing.

Happened to me while reading Mrs. Dalloway, which I annotated highly.