December 11, 2009

Various & Sundry

Been meaning to read all of Acedia & Me by Kathleen Norris since it's haunting how she mentions that eating your food quickly is a sign of impatience and sloth. She also mentions same with respect to the consuming of books. Yet the prime conditions for reading Acedia & Me are rare: can't be down (because it would be too depressing), can't be too up (since then I don't think I need to read it), must be slothful (because then I know I need to read it) but not slothful to the point of being too slothful to read it. Small window of opportunity there. :-)

* * *

Funny line on Obama from Peg Noonan: "If he's going to bow to something, it might as well be reality."

3 comments:

sriddle415 said...

Dear TSO,

I couldn't possibly agree more. I have found this very difficult to get through because while it identified the problem, I didn't feel that it helped me much in dealing with it. So I'd say you diagnose it right--the conditions for optimal reading ARE rare.

shalom,

Steven

mrsdarwin said...

I really enjoyed Kathleen Norris's historical analysis of acedia, but the half of the book that was a memoir about her marriage left me cold. Reading and writing about marriage is a crapshoot -- there are generalities to be noted, but everyone has a different tolerance for certain negative personality traits or personal problems. Her problems were not mine, to say the least, and though I could see how her marriage was difficult, I frankly couldn't see entering such a situation in the first place. I think this is my lack of sympathy showing through, and doubtless that's a fault of mine. But -- if you have a happy marriage to a stable person, you might find yourself frustrated or nonplussed. Other people's relationships are strange.

TS said...

Mrs. D, maybe I'll read it but skip over the parts that aren't helpful. I always think that I have to read every page of a book but I can/should skip around and be selective.