December 06, 2009

Week in Review

I share a private blog with another blogger (thus making it not really private) and since I've been without any deep and meaningful thoughts I'll cut & paste from there (since nature and blogs abhor a vacuum). I'll also add a survey question in the right panel to determine whether you want quality or quantity in this blog. In other words, should I post what I had to eat this morning and what tricks my dog can do? That would be quantity... Yes I know this sort of metabloggic inquiry is a symptom of shark jumpage but...

* * *

The week felt long almost immediately, if that's not oxymornic. That's not unusual coming after a vacation week - the sudden shock of work is like having gotten used to a warm shower and then entering a cold one. Got a lot done, but then I define "a lot done" rather loosely, like overcoming the inertia to call and delay a dental appointment.

* * *

What else? Boring meetings at work. There's nothing more enervating than someone else's patently absurd enthusiasm though I'm likely just envious of the business piety. I cradled my Kindle and read "Game Six", a book about the sixth game of the 1975 World Series. It saved me from FBS (fatal boredom syndrome) although I only made it through 60 minutes of the 90 min optional meeting. A meeting so optional even my boss didn't even go.

It's too easy to be cynical, especially concerning the "engagement surveys" that are the latest corporate fad. Ever since the really high-ups have had as part of their evaluation employee engagement, it's been a hot topic. The hour-long meeting was a hoot since I used it as an opportunity to perfect my stand-up (or sit-down) comedy. After a long monologue crafted by our moderator, concerning the absence of data on what went into a "employee satisfaction" number, I offered that I would be "far more satisfied if I knew how employee satisfaction was derived." Guffaws broke out, though I wondered if I delivered the line a tad too slow. I'd been preparing it for at least three minutes and didn't want to say it too fast. Perhaps it was the perfect tempo because then people could anticipate what I was going to say and thus find contentment in its actualization.

Our moderator made it a point that he would find out how it was derived, thereby missing that I was funning him. Did I mention he was of German heritage?

* * *

Loving this NBA basketball book I'm reading in part because it explores why Bill Russell was better than Wilt Chamberlain. You couldn’t have two more opposite individuals - one the consummate team player, the other a statistics maven. I, alas, have always been a stats man. I can tell how individualistic my mentality is by just I grade everything by the “impartiality” of statistics when I’m, ironically, falling into the trap of bias. For with a team game - like basketball, like life, like salvation - you need to look at the big picture, the team picture. The secret of basketball, said Isaiah Thomas, is that it’s not about basketball. It’s not about skills or statistics but about unselfishness. It's not how you perform, it's how your team performs.

8 comments:

Bill White said...

Quantity can't help but be quality around here.

mrsdarwin said...

I'm cracking up at the thought of sit-down comedy at the meeting, and the serious moderator vowing to find out from whence employee satisfaction derives. From lack of boring meetings, surely?

Karl said...

This blog is the number one Google search result for 'video meliora proboque deteriora sequor' (without quotes), and yet it turns out that "These terms only appear in links pointing to this page". I am perplexed again.

Karl said...

Belay that last. It's in the title. Sorry for the intrusion.

Don said...

If I only posted commentary that's well-written and insightful, I'd never post anything at all.

BettyDuffy said...

Here we are now... entertain us! (not inspire, nor edify, convince, transform, convert or correct...Gosh, I hate those blogs.)

TS said...

Gracias all. The ayes have it. Now I can post silly stuff with impunity! :-) Although Betty's quoting Kurt Cobain doesn't inspire confidence. (I keep looking for the position "Entertainer for the Body of Christ" but it's missing from the CCC index.)

William Luse said...

Quantity and quality, no doubt, and the two need not always coincide.