January 14, 2010

Jottings Worth 25% More Than You Paid For Them

Feel tired from water aerobics, which was filled with ample ladies numbering at least thirty, a new world record. "Welcome to January," our instructor said, reminding me why I don't like other people's New Year's resolutions. I can't hope that the ladies turn from the goodness of exercise but I can hope that new classes get added.

_____

From our C.E.O.:
Happy New Year!

Have you ever had the feeling that something big is about to happen? We all know it. It’s that feeling of anticipation that you might get before a sporting event, or the pleasure of seeing a young child’s birthday party, or perhaps the excitement of getting your first vehicle.
...Or just before downing large quantities of beer. I'm so cynical. :-)

_____

Wasn't in the mood for an after-work party at a local bar yesterday given how tonight I'll be hitting the bar. Back-to-back days are not what the doc has on tap. So missed a party that was for someone who left the company and who is now leaving THAT company. Only one parting gift per customer please. Only one after-work party per sojourning former team member.

_____

Am in significant reading deficit, defined as more than two days without a steady diet of read. I want to RMAO soon. I can't wait to captain my chair and burn the midnight oil reading about the whale oil in Moby Dick or maybe attempt to finish War & Peace in one sitting using Evelyn Woods's course. I jest. I met a lady who reads that fast and I wondered why. Reading, like eating, is best done leisurely.

_____

Fried my brain yesterday via copious spreadsheet work, but with the benefit of background listenings to A Prairie Home Companion, the Nutcracker Suite, and Thomas Sowell on National Review. I've a surfeit of news and information so I should stick to the glow of Scripture and holy things at home. That and the long-form narratives we all crave.

_____

Haiti isn't godforsaken, though it sure seems that way. Like a dysfunctional family, there's a tendency to want to have them start over in new families, i.e. countries. It's just unfathomable that a country so poor, so challenged, should have this happen; it reminds me of the potato famine in that you had this huge numbers of people living very vulnerably; the Irish depending too much on the potato, and the Haitians, relying on an unstable government and even less stable buildings not even close to being built to code. But the ambassador from Haiti is a proud man with obvious pride in his country when he said called Haitians a courageous people, and I don't doubt it.

_____

On the elevator I noticed a young blonde offered me good body language. She leaned towards me, and I thought about how this was not unlike other girls her age and it occurred to me I've become safe to them. Old enough not to be taken seriously as a potential papabile, so to speak.

_____

There's a point at which caution and wariness becomes paranoia. I do find the conspiratorial mindset intriguing if only because I tend to lack the imagination for it. Sometimes the paranoids are right; a family member suggested I not fund my Roth 401k versus a regular 401k because it's better to get the tax benefit now rather than later, a later that might never come. The government could easily renege and begin taxing Roths in the future just as they did with Social Security. With debt skyrocketing, all bets on the security of governmental promises are iffy.

3 comments:

Steven Riddle said...

Dear TSO,

Two items.

(1) Modesty--25% more, nonsense, 200% or 300% at least--to quote Luther--Sin boldly!

(2) Haiti--I can only think that it is God's grace that is underlining how very needy this country is. Not the Earthquake as grace, but our constant awareness of it. In this day and age, it is a crime against humanity that countries are allowed to exist so marginally, that we are so loath to help (and to some extent so unprepared). We're all on the margin--Haiti is closer, but our own New Orleans debacle (whomever you blame/don't blame it on) is demonstrative of the way that we are not present to one another in the ways we should be. Julie at Happy Catholic had a point when she shared the quotation that "It is so hard to help."

Thanks for this--as always a breath of fresh air.

shalom,

Steven

TS said...

Ha, I think I did just sin boldly with that papabile mention. I may have to excise that. But you're right, I could've gone for 300% or more given the zero multiplier!

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Don't take out the papabile mention!