January 13, 2010

Various & Sundry

I remember like it was yesterday (because it was) making that special trip to McD's 'round about 2, the sun still all a-gust, and purchasing one of those pluperfectly chocolately brownie melts. I'd brought milk along so that I could consume the all-world dessert properly, albeit while doing other errands. Sure it would've been better to eat it at home but, as I reminded folks during the '08 election, the perfect is the enemy of the good. Don't blame me I voted for McCain.

And oh yes I remember chuckling at how our cat found a huge swatch of sun in the green room, as if it had a daily schedule (sun appointment upstairs in office; postpone nail appointment). The sun, the sun! I called like a lover, or maybe Herve Villechaize, before the gentle reminder of belated morning prayers to seek the everlasting light.

* * *

Bill of Summa has a fine smorgasbord of seven quick takes, including the comedic sixth item, "this space left intentionally blank."

He writes poetically of Bibles:
My new CTS Bible (Jerusalem Bible/Grail Psalms) is great, but I still turn sometimes to my hefty old 1966 Jerusalem Bible (the burgundy hardback edition). Its large noble pages are beautifully designed - they provide lots of open space for contemplation and scads of notes and cross-references for dot-connecting. It's a pain to hold for long, though.
Whatever you think of the truth about the Medjugorje, there is truth in the purported words of Mary: "Dear children, today I call you to read the Bible everyday in your homes and let it be in a visible place so as always to encourage you to read it and pray."

* * *

This headline - Watching TV Linked to Higher Risk of Death - reminds me that the mortality rate is still 100% among human beings, TV or no TV.

* * *

I see Melissa Wiley has a post about her iPod Touch. Sans irony, I find myself googling "iPod touch addiction" on mine. Even found an Outback Steakhouse app that allows me to save orders so I can re-order at an i-touch of a button.

Melissa mentioned Betty Duffy's blog which prompted recall of the many blogs I've read over the years, Dylan's & Steven Riddle's & KTC's especially, but it seems like at any given time there's ONE blog that speaks to me in a particularly resonant way during any given period of time. Call me blogogamous. So here's my evolution of Internet reading:
On the first day God created Amy Welborn's blog, which I read as thoroughly as a Kremlinologist during the Cuban Missile crisis.

On the second day God created Tom of Disputations, whose blog I did not worship, though admittedly came close.

On the third day God created Bill of Apologia, whose electric style produced learned expositions on weighty matters followed by thoughts on breastfeeding (emphasis on the first syllable).

On the fourth day God created Betty Duffy, the most underrated blogger in the Western Hemisphere.

4 comments:

BettyDuffy said...

I like to come back and read this post every other day or so. Is that vain?

TS said...

If it is then I'm guilty too - Amy Welborn once said something good about me and I saved it as a jpeg. (Come to think of it, about time I look that up...)

Maybe you could volunteer to write for your diocesan newspaper? I just volunteered to write copy for our local Catholic radio station, although after meeting with the director I'm now doing web work for him. I wanted to tell him, "you mean I can't write diary entries for the station?" *grin*

BettyDuffy said...

Been thinking about doing writing that's a bit more permanent than blogging. I already tried the diocesan paper route. They like their editorials a bit more upbeat, less tongue in cheek. Paris review doesn't want my poems, darnit. I can't think why, because your blog says my writing is good--in fact that's probably why I keep coming back here, just to make sure that's what I read, when the rejection letters come in from elsewhere.

A jpeg. That would keep me from inflating your stats.

TS said...

Ah yes, no sense of humor or the tragic in the typical diocesan newspaper. Bad advice. :-) Of course it's not the size of your audience but the measure of their gratitude that counts. And I for one am grateful.

The adrenalin rush from checking my stats left about five years ago, so inflate away. I think I made it a jpeg in fear she'd take the post down. *grin*