February 09, 2010

Silly Season

I watch the network news about as often as I drink castor oil, but did catch a bit of Katie Couric's little show and was astonished by the continuing trivialization of our news.

Years ago I recall network anchors complaining about the precious brevity of their alloted time, of how only 22 minutes after commercials was available to tell us what happened in the past 24 hours. And yet in the brief amount I watched the CBS Evening News, Couric wasted my time telling me that Sarah Palin had notes scrawled on her palm. This was supposed to make us feel like Palin was a hypocrite for calling out Obama about his teleprompter habit.

Couric soundedlike a fourth-grader tattling on her neighbor for sticking a crayon up his nose. You really can't make it up.

8 comments:

Darwin said...

But just think how many more people would tune in to watch Couric if she routinely did her broadcast with a crayon stuck in her nose...

TS said...

Don't give her any ideas. :-)

BettyDuffy said...

It's always a laugh when there's a slow news night, but even more annoying is when Fox news has a hotchicks "panel of experts." Almost as if they ring up the models in the Sunday Penny's adds and ask them if they have a blog or an opinion on anything, and if so, would they mind answering a few questions with Bill O Reilly?

TS said...

Yeah O'Reilly is shameless when it comes to recruiting people based on their looks. It's Affirmative Action for the good-looking such that, fairly or unfairly, I tend to automatically think they got their gig based soley on their looks. The other day I told my wife: "You know Krauthammer must be good because he's not easy on the eyes."

BettyDuffy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
BettyDuffy said...

I would feel more confidence in getting my news from these guys:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/8b/StatlerAndWaldorf.jpg

BettyDuffy said...

Well darnit, I can't get that link to work. It's supposed to be Statler and Waldorf.

Darwin said...

At that point, it should simply be played for humor. I could see some Daily Show-style value in "Five Supermodels Discuss Today's Issues".

Well, or certainly _some_ kind of value, at any rate...