February 03, 2010

Ten Great Conservative Novels

...a list from NR:
"A few months ago, a professor e-mailed with a simple question: What are the great conservative novels? He was preparing a course on the history of American conservatism and wanted to include some fiction on his syllabus. I proposed a few titles, but his question lingered in my mind. So I asked readers of National Review Online for their suggestions. I also canvassed several experts on American literature. Hundreds of ideas poured in. Here is the result: a list of ten great conservative novels, all written by Americans since the founding of the conservative movement in the 1950s. Lists such as this are always (and ideally) debatable. Yet these choices represent something of a rough consensus." - John J. Miller
1. Advise and Consent, by Allen Drury

2. Midcentury, by John Dos Passos

3. Mr. Sammler's Planet, by Saul Bellow

4. The Time It Never Rained, by Elmer Kelton

5. The Thanatos Syndrome, by Walker Percy

6. The Bonfire of the Vanities, by Tom Wolfe

7. Shelley's Heart, by Charles McCarry

8. Gilead, by Marilynne Robinson

9. Freddy and Fredericka, by Mark Helprin

10. No Country for Old Men, by Cormac McCarthy

6 comments:

Steven Riddle said...

Dear TSO,

There was interesting comment on this a few days back at The Commonplace Blog. You might be interested. Depending on the definition one takes of a "conservative novel," _Ulysses_ can be made out to be one of the most conservative novels ever. I'm sure that isn't waht NR had in mind, but it makes for thought-provoking discussion.

shalom,

Steven

TS said...

I'll check it out!

mrsdarwin said...

I wonder what it says about my conservative cred that I only recognize four of these titles, and of those four, the only one I've ever encountered in person is "Bonfire of the Vanities", and then only the movie version.

TS said...

Probably shows the dearth of conservative novels! I've read the Bonfire, but that's all.

TS said...

Oh and the Walker Percy novel. Read all his.

RB said...

Animal Farm & 1984 - cautionary tales that continue to go unheeded in the relentless push toward Big Guv and collectivism.