May 25, 2010

Spanning the Globe to Bring You the Constant Variety of Posts

Listening to "Everybody Wants to Rule the World," we hear from the back seat, "I don't want to rule the world: people would expect me to do stuff." - Steven of "Momentary Taste"

Two years ago when Kay Ryan was named U.S. Poet Laureate she told an interviewer:
“I've always taught part time, to a great extent, so that I could have most of my life for wool-gathering. You have to do it about 100 pounds of wool-gathering for an ounce of really good language. So it's very inefficient, and it takes an awful lot of time…”
This week as she prepared to step down from her laureateship Ryan told another interviewer:
“I plan to do a lot more bicycle riding. I got a beautiful new bike and am looking forward to riding it more. I also want to do more woolgathering—idle rumination, daydreaming—which is absolutely essential for poetry, and which I can do on the bicycle.”
Some of my favorite writers are woolgatherers and I’m not surprised Ryan savors the word. “Woolgathering” entered English in the mid-sixteenth century meaning “indulging in wandering fancies and purposeless thinking.” It was a vestige of the pastoral past and literally meant “gathering fragments of wool torn from sheep by bushes.” - Patrick Kurp of "Anecdotal Evidence"

The artistic temperament is a disease that afflicts amateurs. It is a disease which arises from men not having sufficient power of expression to utter and get rid of the element of art in their being. It is healthful to every sane man to utter the art within him; it is essential to every sane man to get rid of the art within him at all costs. Artists of a large and wholesome vitality get rid of their art easily, as they breathe easily, or perspire easily. But in artists of less force, the thing becomes a pressure, and produces a definite pain, which is called the artistic temperament. Thus, the very great artists are able to be ordinary men – men like Shakespeare or Browning. - G.K. Chesterton in "Heretics"

Anyway, it's all very interesting, if a bit strange, that so many people seem to need to find the ark to confirm their belief in the truth of Scripture. I'm a little surprised they're not trekking through Iraq looking for the Garden of Eden. One would hope their faith is not dependent on such physical evidence. I certainly don't believe in the Resurrection of Jesus Christ because I also believe in the authenticity of the Shroud of Turin. I see the Shroud simply as a nice gift left behind by Our Lord, not as the source of my faith. How does that old hymn go? "We walk by faith and not by sight..." - blogger at "Being is Good"

Life has been handed to me on a platter and I still manage to find fault with it. Except when I don't. - Betty Duffy tagline

Although I teach by the Socratic method, which entails plunging the students into confusion before rescuing them with clarity, I am aware that the confusion wants to persist. I introduce a text by identifying its chief problem. (A “novel is a prose narrative of some length that has something wrong with it.” —Randall Jarrell.) Then I propose and reject several current or notorious answers before settling upon a more adequate resolution. My apology is that students ought to be shown that the pursuit of truth depends as much upon refutation and falsification as upon assertion and corroboration. - blogger at "A Commonplace Blog"

I was previously aware that the two major schools of thought regarding predestination in Catholics theology circles was the Thomist and Molinists views. The argument did get rather heated at one time until I believe the Pope told them to basically “chill out.” So there is no official teaching of the Church in regards predestination other than ruling out some aspects of the subject such as double-predestination as taught by Calvin where some are predestined to Hell. So currently the Thomist, Molinist, or some composite of the two are acceptable views for Catholics to prudentially hold. I find myself more sympathetic toward the Thomist view and the author of this book argues from the Thomist view. This is not the easiest of subjects and there is a very good reason the word mystery really comes into play when discussing it. As with all mysteries it certainly does not mean we can know nothing on the subject, only that we can never fully understand it. - Jeff of Curt Jester

I have always been so drawn to Augustine, because he is all the proof I need that a sinner as great as me can one day become holy and generous in my love for God and man...My biggest enemy these days is sloth, the vice that for me consistently serves as the black hole that seeks to suck out all the oxygen in the fire of my soul. But today I prayed, if not very well. Veni Sancte Spiritu. It may have been but a mutter, a grumble from my heart instead of a blaring trumpet as I wish it were, but it was the expression of desire, and I trust faithfully in the words of St. Paul [in] Rom 8:26-28...My nearly lifeless prayer is given life by the Spirit of God who intercedes for me, aiding me when I do not pray as I ought. For I ought to pray with a heart full of love and gratitude for the many gifts with which I have been blessed, most of all the very gift of my salvation, and the gift of God's own Spirit which allows me that loving knowledge of my God. But this is too often not how I pray, because sloth resides so deep in my mind, body, and soul. But today I prayed, and today I both welcome presently and anticipate hopefully the transformative power of God's sanctifying Spirit.- Michael at "Psalm 46:11"

When I first found the Divine Mercy prayer, I was struck by what seemed like the presumption of me - me - offering the Father the Body and Blood, Soul and Divinity of his own Son. Then, I realized I was incapable of offering anything else, and the thought took my breath away. - Roz, commenting on this blog

No comments: