June 24, 2010

Ah But That's What the 'Net Provides

I usually avoid a certain Catholic blog, finding it irritating and needlessly damning of a particular group, and yet I'm drawn to it because it so fascinates, titillates me. Why does he/she hold such opinions? We are strangely drawn to what irritates us, no? I find it akin to a train wreck but I shouldn't be as surprised for where there is praise there is always going to be damning and there's a market for everything, be it for praise or damnation. If a blog seems gratuitously divisive I remind myself that blogs - the Internet - exists to exploit gratuity, is designed by its very nature to find what we cannot find elsewhere. It's not divisiveness that is surprising; we do that by human nature. It's expressions of unity amid diversity that shock, such as the return of dissenters to the sheepfold.

1 comment:

Darwin said...

I usually avoid a certain Catholic blog, finding it irritating and needlessly damning of a particular group, and yet I'm drawn to it because it so fascinates, titillates me.

Not only do I sometimes have similar problems, but I can think of several Catholic blogs the above description would bit. I'm trying to think if that's surprising or not...