October 25, 2010

From latest National Review

Hyp-mo-tized by the Greek tragedy of the late Joseph Sobran who, it's said, could "write like Chesterton" but who ended up underachieving, to put it charitably. A prose sample from his better days:
The highest form of appreciation is worship. I don't insist that there is a correlation between formal religion and conservatism. But there is an attitude prior to any creed, which may make a healthy-minded unbeliever regretful that he has nobody to thank for all the goodness and beauty in his life that he has done nothing to deserve. One might almost say that the crucial thing about a man is not whether he believes in God, but how he imagines God: as infinitely good and adorable, or merely as an authoritarian obstacle to human desire? The opposite of piety is not unbelief, but crassness.

2 comments:

Jim Curley said...

I loved Joe Sobran's essays, although I hadn't read many in recent years. I recall his essay (I think in the Wanderer) about the descrimination. It was masterful.

TS said...

NR's article is really good. Very tough on him, but fair (I think).