May 30, 2011

Freedom's Dynamic Duo

Read successive posts from the great Heather King and Betty Duffy and thought, "now that's what I'm talking about."

I loved HK's fierce declaration of independence in the writing life. I thought that going to Patheos seemed too predictable a path, too..."blog hip". I'd rather a thousand flowers bloom in their stark individuality. So no branding for her and she's willing to take the punishment in terms of lesser number of readers.

Betty Duffy's post on Walker Percy's The Moviegoer ends on a similar independent note:
Binx’s search draws him to Kate, a broken woman who can give him no guarantee of happiness, a woman whose great epiphany is that “a person does not have to be this or be that or be anything, not even oneself. One is free.”

Personally, I’d prefer, for the time being, to remain “Betty Duffy.”

No comments: