May 20, 2011

Fukuyama Excerpt

Fukuyama in "The Origins of Political Order":

Click to enlarge:



Reading that excerpt I couldn't help but think that it's fundamentally anti-Christian, or at least an implicit call to transcend it via spiritual means. Because if recognition is "zero-sum" then it is quantitatively different than, say, a quest for health or wealth (both of which could be seen as win-win, or at least are not dependent on someone else losing something). Trade, for example, is a win-win. But if recognition is you lose-I win then it's fundamentally anti-Christian. To me it was illustrative of a result of the Fall, because God wouldn't have set up the world originally this way. What really interested me was how we need to base our recognition for self and others in our being children of God and valued by God, and yet Fukuyama says that doesn't work since we only experience value relative to how we rank with others.

2 comments:

Marie said...

I've always wondered when it became a good thing to be proud of yourself, or to take pride in your work. I think I was an adult before I ever heard anyone refer to pride as a sin.

Wanting the approval and admiration of others is one of those difficult nuts to crack -- is there a place for it at all or should you be completely indifferent to the judgment of society or your peers?

I've always liked the Litany of Humility by Rafael Cardinal Merry del Val?

TS said...

That litany is one of my favorites too Marie.