June 13, 2011

Move to Ohio Feels Right

From California to Ohio, a man bites dog story?...
Firelight glowing. My daughter sleeping on the couch. Candles throwing shadows on the walls. Kitty napping among the pillows. Champagne shimmering in a glass.

I pick up the champagne and slip outside barefoot, raising the glass toward the moonlit mountains in a toast. As a silken breeze wafts over me, I say goodbye with my eyes: Goodbye, rosebush. Goodbye, palm trees. Goodbye, dark-green blades of grass and endless sky.

It's late December in California, and tomorrow I'm going home. Or am I leaving home? I can't decide.

"If you don't know where you're going, you might wind up somewhere else," Yogi Berra once said.

The paradox clamored in my mind the day I left California - my golden state for two decades - to return to Ohio.

No comments: