June 01, 2011

Politics, '12 Style

So we Republicans have often bamboozled and befuddled ourselves by a tendency to pick the trooper, the guy who's waited his turn, be it George HW Bush or Bob Dole or John McCain. Turn-waiting is overrated.

I've been looking more seriously at Tim Pawlenty, but he's a bit too much of a standard-issue military industrialist it seems to me and from what I've heard he's unwilling to tell the truth about Afghanistan:
"Former Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty said the country should try to decrease its troop levels in Afghanistan within the next two years, but only if conditions allow it."
Conditions, of course, will never allow it, given that the nation's longest war shows no markers of victory.

I don't much like Ron Paul's it's-America's-fault-for- everything-that-happens attitude, but am tempted towards a protest vote for him.

Pawlenty's pro-life credentials don't strike me as poor enough to throw the Minnesota governor overboard, but he seems to have waffled on waterboarding, first being against it before he was for it.

The trick to being a happy voter is to not look at any of the candidates too closely. Pretend you didn't read this.

3 comments:

dylan said...

I like this post. And I'd probably be voting for Pawlenty if he were a bit more like Paul.

Gregg the Obscure said...

Paul is the only GOP candidate that's even somewhat appealing to me (separation of school and state, massive deregulation, etc.), but his weirdness toward Israel is a dealbreaker.

TS said...

My lack of knowledge about Paul, particularly with respect to Israel, is likely one of the reasons I would be tempted to protest vote him.

I suppose I'll just settle for Romney or Pawlenty.