1) TEXAS - easy choice, there is hardly a contender. Texas is so "state patriotic" that there's talk of secession there.
2) NEW YORK - the Big Apple is self-patriotic enough to provide that impetus for the whole state. They think the own the joint!
3) SOUTH CAROLINA - they started the Civil War, so that takes some chutzpah. Plus the South is generally more state patriotic (or at least regionally so) than most.
4) MASS - a state with so much history and the most elite university will naturally be self-patriotic, and their love for the Red Sox is legendary.
5) CALIFORNIA - Despite recent problems, the "Golden State" still thinks of itself as the leader of trends, fashions and technology.
6) ALASKA - the biggest state in terms of area, Alaskans are keenly aware of their separateness and rich natural resources.
7) LOUISIANA - Anchored by New Orleans and Cajun country, this state is unique enough to have a lot of self-patriotism.
8) NEW HAMPSHIRE - "Live free or die," is their motto, and their pride of rugged individualism is strong.