September 06, 2011

Oy vey...

Complaining while living in a first world nation is unseemly, to say the least, so if you're easily "seemed" please skip this post.

Nobody is as dependent on their company's cafeteria as yours truly and I've been lucky to have it. The vendor provides breakfast, lunch and dinner five days a week, give or take, depending on holidays. The breakfast and lunches are for me, the dinners for both me and my wife. Retirement will mean cutting off our main food supply.

Change is inevitable and there's always an itch for change from corporate leaders since if they point to the status quo, they're not beefing up their résumé. It's pretty hard to say, if you're in charge of the cafeteria, "our cafeteria has good food at decent prices and with minimal waits in lines." If you say that every year at your annual evaluation they'll think you're not really trying. Got to snazz it up. Think along the lines, "we now offer multi-cultural food with right-sized portions for the differently-appetited with long lines that testify to the appeal of the food."

So as you may be able to surmise there's a new sheriff in Cafeteria Town. The old vendor was unceremoniously dumped after decades of service. The new vendor - which mainly provides food for grade schools, hospitals and the otherwise incarcerated - was cheaper, and has gone overboard with the multi-cultural, politically correct, smaller portion-sized food choices (they call it 'right-sized', which always means 'smaller than normal but with the same price'). The new cafe menu looks like the buffet at a United Nations convention of anorexics. And if I wanted "Middle East platters" I'd move to the Arab Emirates.

4 comments:

dylan said...

Yes! Oh, boy, am I with you on this one! Add multi-culti cuisine if you like, but keep the good old American stuff, too. And don't try to monitor my health for me. If I want a bleeding rare cheeseburger with an extra large fries and a non-diet soda, that's my to-do. Don't try to foist carrots on me if I'm not interested!

TS said...

Yes, can you believe they don't even have butter now? Es ist verboten! Don't they know that it takes a lot of calories to maintain my weight and I appreciate every one of them thar calories?

William Luse said...

No Butter? That's outrageous, not to mention un-American, not to mention taste-challenged. Have they never heard of Bernaise sauce? You have every right to complain. It's completely seemly of you.

TS said...

Thanks for your support Bill. The way I look at is that if I wanted to eat healthier, I'd eat healthier.