October 07, 2011

This & That Friday



Happened across an advertisement for something called "Man v. Food". A terrible idea. Man and food get along great imo, why introduce a fight? Let me be on record as having nothing against food.

*

A young, pretty blonde is waiting with me to get on the elevator. Once aboard she crosses her legs and leans against the wall. I do the same and perhaps she noticed out of her peripheral vision for she suddenly exclaimed,"We could be twins!" I was not immediately aware of what she meant, and looked at her clothing (different from mine) and shoes (different from mine) and looks (different from mine). But I smiled.

A plump, middle-aged guy gets on as she gets off.

"Quite a downgrade, 'eh?"

We laughed and I said, "well I can't disagree with you."

*

Watched television host Samantha Brown visit Boston on The Travel Channel last night. A bit underwhelmed; she's not all that into history and cliche'd travel experiences, so no Freedom Trail (I just love looking at those old Puritan tombstones in the burying grounds). Instead front and center was an Italian sausage-eating contest in Eastie. She made mention of the rough town folk as the camera panned the crowd, there for an Italian festival. My view of the mean streets of East Boston is that it contains quintessential Nor'eastern folks, a representative sampling of white folks at their most ethnic and middling class. As an ethnography experiment the show was a success; didn't realize Boston had a beach, aka Revere. Don't often hear it mentioned!

Also watched a Brown episode featuring Brooklyn and Coney Island, a famous place I'd never had the desire to go. What is it about Coney Island and the beachfront that offputs? I think it's because I don't much like crowds (though why then do I like NYC?).

*

Read galloplingly from "The Bible Made Impossible", a helpful corrective given my tendency to try to make Scripture into something that it wasn't intended to be. For example, I tend to think every bit of the Bible should be valuable when clearly some passages really aren't, such as where Paul in one of his letters asks for his cloak and a couple scrolls! Scripture is "God-breathed", but that is different from saying it's all equally important or that it's all high-minded. God condescends to us. St. Paul also insults people from Crete; it's hard to find a message today in that. Scripture isn't what we worship, Christ is, and all scripture needs to be viewed through His lens. Later I caught a video of Scott Hahn mentioning how the Bible wasn't meant to prove Christ but to remind Christians of the truths they already knew.

*

Read something interesting about Steve Jobs. Turns out he was adopted and his biological sister is novelist Mona Simpsons. Talent runs deep in those genes apparently. Curt Jester had a post about how he felt about Apple, about how they make extremely quality products but, alack and alas, the jack to my ipod isn't working well through no fault of my own and the screen cracked as well when I (through fault of my own) dropped it. Jeff mentioned how they don't plan obsolescence and that's all to the good although technology seems to plan its own obsolescence without any help from the manufacturer. A well-made car can run for fifteen years; fifteen years is a lifetime in computer terms given the propensity towards smaller CPUs and cheaper, better devices.

1 comment:

Gregg the Obscure said...

Hard to find a message in St. Paul mentioning his need for sundry items? Not so fast, my friend. The comments about need for his own specific objects would rankle gnostics, communards, Albigensians and the like and remind us that even holy apostles have material needs and occasionally require the assistance of their fellows. None of us can do it completely on our own. Exaltavit humiles . . . esurientes implevit bonis, but that's generally not addressed ex nihilo. Sure, it isn't up to Verbum caro factum est, but it's not nothing.