January 01, 2012

From Men's Health magazine...

RULE No. 11: Respect the Sacramental Wine
It's no accident that alcohol is front and center in lots of religious rites. In the Roman Catholic Eucharist, wine symbolizes the transit from brutal violence to redemptive hope. Our taste for faith meets the same need as our taste for fume blanc—our longing for linkage. The word "religion" is derived from the Latin religare, meaning "to tie or fasten." (Care to tie one on?) And just as we sing those hymns in search of common ground, we share a drink to find a way across the space between us.

If we had any interest in exalting drinking, we'd describe it as a hope that a barely-there buzz might silence the judgments in our heads and help us open our hearts to the rest of God's children. "You shall not withhold yourself," theologian Martin Buber suggested, is the secret to a full life. A man could do worse for a motto; a drink just might help him live up to it.

7 comments:

Star Boarding said...

I need this type of post thanks

William Luse said...

If this post is an encouragement to drink, it's working.

TS said...

I never seem to need an ecouragement on that front. If I waited till after I cut the grass, I'd have a long winter wait.

William Luse said...

shovel some snow. Right now it's cold enough down here to snow, but there ain't no clouds.

TS said...

Btw, tried to comment on your blog but didn't have right permissions.

William Luse said...

what? My blog should be easy to comment on. Try it again.

William Luse said...

Hokay. I see now. When I stopped blogging I turned off comments and forgot to turn them back on. Should be okay now.