February 20, 2012

Takes, Seven Give or Take

Oh the joy of having a well-stocked fridge again! I went to Kroger's and found, to my delight, that they are now offering "mix and match" six-packs for $9.99. Now that's what I call earning back my business (after a longterm foray to the arms (wings?) of Giant Eagle, based on the latter's premiere beer selection). I was able to try four new beers along with two old favorites in the six-pack. Also picked up a Sam Adams winter variety pack (which includes a coffee brew), the old favorite Columbus IPA and the even older favorite Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. I had been drinking "look what I founds" in the fridge, the last gaspions of the infrequently wanted, the dregs as it were.

Then too I was able to restock my cereal cabinet, which had pretty much devolved to just Grape Nuts. So yes I am pleased I overcome the inertia and traveled to the grocery store. It seems to me that grocery shopping is made 50% more pleasant by the beer hunting it affords, much the way it was back in the '70s when Mom would allow me to get a couple packs of baseball cards. Sometimes the packs had transparent wrapping which would show the first card, so there wold be much deliberation in pack-picking depending on who was showing. On "blind" packs I would run my hand over each and in a sort of telepathic, occultish practice try to discern if it had any Reds in it by virtue of a warmth that could be felt from the vibrations that good Reds cards surely had.

*

Went to the Byzantine church I frequent and the homily was dominated by a letter from the bishop, read to us by the pastor, that said there would be a gathering of the Eastern rite head honchos in 2013 to try, it seems, to figure out how to have a revival. I can only imagine how much trouble they're in: they seem like a fragile hothouse flower that only thrive in an age of faith. Pastor quoted the Deacon as asking if we were going to get tents for the revival. Part of the concern is that children don't stay with the Faith, a common lament that certainly afflicts just about all churches but especially, perhaps, these canary-in-the-coalmine churches that don't offer a huge banquet of extraneous services.

*

LIN-seed oil! The oil of excellent Asian NBA point guards!

*

Read more of Ian Ker's magisterial Chesterton bio. "Don't look a gift universe in the mouth," was Chesterton's motto more or less. He said that if we look askance at the cosmos the cosmos might well say something like, "let's take away your existence and then we'll discuss."

*

The latest game for me is "Words With Friends", an online Scrabble game. Fun and entertaining, although compromised in its integrity by allowing you to submit fake words without penalty until one may happen across a real one, like "fiar" or "habu". Seems to make vocabulary less determinative.

*

Read a fascinating article from the Atlantic magazine about how a parasite found in cat feces may have infected 20-30% of the population and how the parasite attacks the brain. It tends to make men more introverted, withdrawn, suspicious, while women tend towards the opposite. What's really interesting is how so much of our situation is determined by environment, disease, or genetics: it seems the window in which we choose and act is getting smaller and smaller. I'm always momentarily surprised - although I shouldn't be - that this is a fallen world and not as God intended it.

*

Read the Pope's Lenten message for this year. So, so, so challenging. He even talks up fraternal correction, which a thing almost repugnant to me given the beam in my own eye and my distaste of conflict.

*

Had a two hour afternoon-killing meeting Friday starring the ever effervescent H.S. A cavalcade of corporate stars ascended the virtual podium and gave their spiels. Perhaps it's just the disagreeable subject matter, but G. seemed to embody that corporate cheerfulness I find so wearisome. Who could be enthused on engagement and all that crap? Not me, evidently; the feelings weren't contagious. M. gave a good no-nonsense talk as did A. (A. arguably holds the record for most variability in appearance in a given week. On Monday mornings she can look exhausted and spent, while at other times appears the poster child of Irish twinkle-eye'd exuberance.)

*

Sammy's second birthday today. He was in fine form, enjoying life and the drum set we got him. He was a tilt-a-whirl, going from settee to settee (poetic license). He found his way to such favorite "toys" as the fly swatter and my rosary. Amazing how much more involved he was in this birthday than his first. This time he could open presents, even seemed to know the tradition if inadequately actuated, of blowing out the candles of his cake. Of course the eating part he had down on his first birthday, enjoying in wonderment this rare (for him) taste: refined sugar.

3 comments:

MrsDarwin said...

Happy birthday to Sammy! The smallest here celebrates her second in July, and in the almost eight months since her first birthday we've seen such a blossoming of personality. She's had plenty of birthday practice, though -- next week her older sister turns six, and it's baby's last chance to study the candle-extinguishing act before it's her turn.

William Luse said...

I think I have that parasite. How it got into me I don't know. I try to avoid cat feces.

TS said...

Ah Bill, but I hear cat feces is very good on wheat toast.

Mrs D - so true how you can see the personality come out between the first & second birthdays - at least in my limited experience (i.e. one experience)!