March 29, 2012

Seven Quick Takes Shaken, Not Stirred

I'm really liking this author alerts website that sends you an email/RSS when a favorite author publishes something.

*

Of the new Mass translation the only line I trip over is the one that ends in "holy Church" instead of just Church. I always miss that, lulled into the familiar by the opening sentences being the same.



Excerpt from a Mark Doty poem:

Do we love more
what we can’t say?

As if what we wanted
were to be brought
that much closer

to words’ failure,
where desire begins?

2.
What I love about language
is what I love about fog:
what comes between us and things
grants them their shine. Take,

for instance, this estuary,
raised to a higher power
by airy sun-struck voile:
gunmetal cove and glittered bar

hung on the rim of the sky
like palaces in Tibet—
white buildings unreachable,
dreamed and held

at just that perfect distance:
the world’s lustered by the veil.

*

Slightly disappointed in myself for getting semi-educated on the Trayvon Martin case. Would prefer invincible ignorance (which, by the way, is the state of most media types). The proper response to over-hype is to ignore it, I think. Rather than to get all angry about the racial double-standards, media malpractice, Zimmerman, the Black Panthers, or whatnot, it would be more conducive to calm and peacefulness to engage in Heather King-ish detachment and not follow these "stories" (where "story" is defined remarkably free of details - there is nothing the media likes better than a story free of details because then they can speculate and rush to judgment more quickly, since facts tend to impede analysis.) I assiduously avoided the Duke lacrosse case, which redounded to my benefit. It's as easy as using the fast-forward button on the television remote or skipping the Drudge links.

*

Good Scott Hahn talk the other morning on suffering on Catholic radio. He says he thinks the one thing, the only thing, that all modern people can agree on as evil is suffering. This dovetails nicely with a chapter on suffering in "Consoling the Heart of Jesus" book. The Lord doesn't seem nearly as hypoallergenic to suffering as we are, given that he allowed his Son to die on a cross and his mother to witness it. Our suffering must be somehow be united to Christ's suffering in order for it to be redemptive and used by Him. I know it's Christianity 101 but still it seems something of a mystery.

*

Haven't read it yet but when I saw a National Geographic cover story on the Apostles, I thought it looks interesting. And, of course, with some good pics.

*

Woke up pleasingly early this morning, early enough to imbibe a little more of Charles Murray's "Coming Apart". One can see how and why the rich are getting richer, the poor poorer, and how we're becoming two separate cultures. College seems to be the big actor here; elite colleges much more elite now than in 1960, and intelligence was more dispersed not just across different colleges but also across different jobs/careers. Smart people marrying smart people much more frequently now and living in the same zipcodes. It has a feel of inevitability about it, this bifurcation, but it doesn't feel compatible with Christianity. Perhaps it's one of the unfortunate if inevitable results of capitalism.

*

Was drinking some Brian Boru beer the other day. I still feel a wistful nostalgia at how during the mid-1990s I read about the Boru in preparation for a trip to Ireland. Ach but was I not thorough in my trip preparations, reading Irish myth in case I might come upon Brian Boru in the flesh? I did half-think I'd meet some sort of supernatural phenomenon in the olde land of Eire during that trip, such as a leprechaun or two.

No comments: