April 30, 2012

This & That

Last night caught more of the comfortable predictability of Dancing With the (C-List) Stars. One can guarantee there'll be minimal clothing coverage on the females (and sometimes the males), and that the storyline will be aspirational, one of "overcoming". DWTS is mostly a story of overcoming obstacles -- pardon the redundancy since all stories are similarly composed.

*

Seems that Fr. Corapi has disappeared from view, his infamous Black Sheepdog website taken down. More than a year after the allegations, it seems he's now living in anonymity. Fascinating character he. Larger than life. The whole story seems like something of a different era, a more dramatic one.

*

Sold the original Kindle DX today. Feels a bit disloyal, seeing how it used to be my go-to reading instrument for a period of time. I'm not sure I should've given up on it so fast. As a backup what could be better? But I think over the past four months I've used it only once. Hard to leave money on the table I guess.

*

Much enjoyed Lino Rulli's show the other day when Fr. Rob called various other Catholic shows - including Fr. Mitch Pacwa's! - and basically used it to see how long he could talk before being stopped by the host. It was enormously entertaining. Sometimes my jejune-ity shows. It was comedic genius for its line-bending and turns out they got in a bit of trouble for it. The suits don't like those sorts of hijinks. Today's revelation is that Rulli's shrink prescribed some medication for him, something that would give him greater mental clarity with which to make better decisions. Lino says he gets tired often during the day. (Join the club!)

*

Was semi-traumatized this morn by reading of poor Dom Bettinelli's near MRI experience. Like Dom, I don't think of myself as particularly claustrophobic, but then I haven't found opportunity to be placed in a cage and then in a machine only slightly bigger than myself. It sounds like Geneva and her conventions might want to consider the MRI as an instrument of torture. 45 minutes of doing nothing is enough to drive me crazy. (You mean I can't check my iPhone?) Modern medicine, including actual harrowing treatments like chemo, seem to have heightened expectations of the toughness of the Western humans.

*

Picked a strong line-up (I think) of Mother's Day gifts. A book by Fr. Groeschel about the afterlife, one by runner Alberto Salazar which I'd like to read, "The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Bible" and, of course, "Bad Religion" by Douthat.

*

Read about the expanding beer menu on Royal Caribbean cruises on USA Today. Lately I've felt a kind of nostalgia for cruises. I miss the gaudy midways of mid-ship, the cigars on the balcony, the sheer availability of food...

No comments: