October 24, 2012

Various & Sundry

Spent the morning reading indulgently (pardon the redundancy) "In the Pleasure Groove" by a Duran Duran band member. I don't know why it's so interesting to me given that I have a slight interest in the band and only know maybe a half-dozen of their songs.  Perhaps it's partially that the intensity of our adolescences mostly coincide: he was born 3 years before me, went to Catholic schools, and ended up in a band during the 'wild years' of the '80s.  Perhaps it's the nostalgia aspect, but also a curiosity over what maturation he's experienced over the years.

Also read more of a Lincoln biography. Odd this sudden Lincoln interest given that I've never been particularly interested in him and have long gravitated towards biographies of devout Christian Southern types like Robert E. Lee,  Stonewall Jackson and Jefferson Davis.

Kind of neat that as I'm reading about Lincoln's difficult childhood I see a Columbus Dispatch article describing a travel writer's visit to Abe's boyhood home in Indiana.  Makes me want to visit there.  I have a much better feel for Lincoln's early life due to the vivid beginning of Burlingame's two-volume bio.  Lincoln had that Calvinist streak just as strong as Emily Dickinson did.  Once you go Calvin, you never go back it would seem.  Abe had a Roman Catholic teacher for a year, one whom he liked a lot. The teacher did not proselytize.

*

From Catholic Bibles blogger:

It was a reminder to me, at least, that there is a place for dynamic-equivalence translations.  As I refer back to Msgr. Knox's On Englishing the Bible, it becomes very clear that Knox would have been a proponent of that style of translation.  I wonder what he would have thought about translations like the Jerusalem or New Jerusalem Bibles? Or how about the NLT?

At the end of her review Elizabeth [Scalia] mentions how she just opened to a particular verse of the Song of Songs in the Knox translation and:

Yes, I read it and I wept. Not in fear, not in despair, but in consolation at the reminder, rendered so beautifully by Knox, that the world has resided in the madness of sin and shadow since Eden, but we are never abandoned, and need never be afraid.

 It is always good to remember how powerful the Holy Scriptures can be, even in a non-formal translation. 

*

The weather is summerish, even warmer than Monday.  Could probably now qualify as "freakish".


*

Betty Duffy's leaving her blog.  Like she says, "it's just a blog," but sentimentally (to the extent one can become sentimental about a URL and web-design) it feels poignant. I think she's smart to go out on top.  I always think everything is "forever" even though in truth the windows of opportunity are vanishingly small. 

No comments: