October 03, 2012

Various & Sundry

When fall is good it's like Mae West: very, very good. Light gleams on resurrected grass, restored from the dog days' drought. The coolness in the air electro-charges everything while at the same time gives summer-ish weather a sense of scarcity and thus, given our human condition, value. We only seem to value what is scarce.

*

Read more of N.T. Wright's book on the kingdom-making cross. Sometimes I think of how tenuous the gospels must be for them to be so routinely misinterpreted if what Wright claims is true. (Of course even the Eucharist, pretty clearly instituted by Christ, is refuted by a third of Christendom.) The Bible seems a very fragile flower. There's a long history of this failing to understand given how most of those in Christ's time didn't see Him as the fulfillment of the Old Testament scriptures. The OT message of the suffering servant as the Messiah perhaps was understandably muted by the example of the powerful Davidic earthly kingdom.

Wright sees our mission to evangelize not as "telling people of your new religious experience" or of "informing them that there is a new prospect of a a much better otherworldly destiny" called Heaven, but to witness that now there is "another king, Jesus" (Acts 17:7). Right here on earth. Pope John Paul II in one of his writings saw the point of departure for the new evangelization as certitude that in Christ there are inexhaustible riches, beginning with Christ himself, in his person, our salvation.

*

The other night I joined the first live-on-the-'net American Chesterton Society meeting. Heard Dale Alquist talk about old business, new business. Finally he drew a name for a free trip to Rome in the spring and alas it wasn't mine. I'd entered late, but I think not too late. Had a one in 150 chance which certainly beats the lottery. You could ask questions so I asked, "Dale, why didn't you draw my name?". I also asked, in a serious vein, when the Chesterton society magazine would be available via an iPad app. Dale had no idea what "iPad app" meant, and definitely I could've been clearer ("when will the magazine be made available for iPad?). One of his helpers offered that they were "working on it".

*

Steph not pleased that I occasionally have my earphones on. She doesn't like to have to repeat herself. It's her pet peeve with me but then I figure it's part of making her saint-making process, putting up with my earphones, ha. Oh but did that classical music go down well! It felt as though it'd been sooo long and long it has been. I haven't listened to classical in at least a month or two.

*
Not sure I'll watch all the debate tonight - sadly I think this election is over (may I be wrong!). Romney is down 7% in Ohio (even in the poll I trust, the Columbus Dispatch), and if Romney doesn't win OH I think he's out.

2 comments:

William Luse said...

"Steph not pleased that I occasionally have my earphones on. She doesn't like to have to repeat herself. It's her pet peeve with me but then I figure it's part of making her saint-making process, putting up with my earphones, ha."

Oh, the self-justification. You might consider that she's already a saint, and I've heard there's a price to pay for trying the patience of such a one.

TS said...

Yeah good point. She's got to be a saint to put up with me.