November 04, 2012

People Are Different

Haley Barbour and other Republican politicians say that Hurricane Sandy has arrested Romney's momentum and has seemingly all but handed the election to Obama.  The latest Columbus Dispatch poll, typically uncannily accurate, has Obama up by 2 in Ohio.   These pieces of bad news suggest the possibility of a bad Tuesday night for Republicans. 

But...as Scott Hahn says, no matter who wins the presidency, Jesus Christ is still Lord of this earth. And that we can take enormous and ultimate comfort from.   

And...even if Obummer wins, there's a kind of just dessert in having him have to deal with the runaway spending he's ushered in. Assuming he doesn't want to tank the U.S., he'll have to clean up his own mess and face fiscal discipline and accountability for the first time.  It could be priceless to see Obama having to tell his worshippers that the time of crazy spending is over.  If Bush had to face in '05-'08 the mess he'd created in Iraq, then Obama may have to face in '13-'16, the mess he created financially. 

Unfortunately though that's finances. In the more important issues of life and religious liberty, an Obama reelection is pretty much a relentlessly gloomy proposition.  Which reminds me to remember Scott Hahn's message. 

*

This year, more than most, I look on supporters of Obama as startling curiosities. When I see an Obama sticker on a car I look over at them if I'm passing or at a stoplight. They are like unicorns to me, completely unfathomnable, like the folks voting for Nixon were to Manhattanites in '72.

I was particularly shocked to hear that a retired accountant, for heavens' sake, who used to work with my wife, was voting Obama. Why? Because AARP supports Obama. Because, although he's really well off, he wants his goodies from the feds. You can't make it up. We do deserve the leaders we get, don't we?

In '08 I understood Obama's appeal:  the magical bipartisan speech at the '04 Democratic convention with its religious overtones, his blank-slate record that anyone could pin his or her hopes on, his charm, his blackness, his hipness.  He seemed a candidate suited for the times:  in one fell swoop America could trade a square who went to bed at 9pm for a hipster who listened to Jay-Z, a guy without the burden of quotes or votes, a candidate with whom we could pay for our original sin of slavery. Obama was to the other candidates what a freshly planted evangelical Christian church is to Roman Catholicism: no history and thus no sins, no baggage.  In the long history of popes and presidents, it's often that the opposite follows an unpopular leader, and so Obama was destined to be the anti-Bush.

But now it's '12.  And now Obama has a record, and a startlingly unflattering one that includes forcing through an unpopular health care law, spending trillions with no obvious effects, having an unemployment rate that was promised to be in the 5% range but is nearly 8%, promising health care premiums to dive even as they've risen precipitously, and offending millions of Christians by giving the middle finger to religious freedom. 

Now I can understand those who say, "it could've been worse!"   Or, "hey I can have my child on my insurance policy until my kid is 26!"  But is THAT such a rallying cry that you put new stickers on your car supporting him?  I would've felt sheepish to have put a Bush sticker on my car in '04 even though I supported him, having seen his mixed record in office. Is Obama's record really worth putting a yard sign in your yard?  Are they shameless? It's fascinating to see that the "hope and change" addicts unbowed by realities. It seems like now those supportive of Obama to the point of putting a bumper sticker on their car are of a mindset that is just completely foreign to me.

2 comments:

HokiePundit said...

I've been thinking along those lines, too. Currently, my question is how I'm going to deal with knowing that my countrymen re-elected Obama (should that happen), despite all these things. How can one relate to such people? What do we have in common beyond living here?

Like you, I guess I can see why people elected him in 2008. I still can't understand why any practicing Catholics did, though. But a second time?

TS said...

Yes it's a mystery wrapped in an enigma. I guess it's that a certain portion of the electorate looks at their political party as they would their sports team and will cheer them on regardless of performance.