March 30, 2013

Classical Bugs

Everything I learned about classical music I learned from watching Bugs Bunny. Ok that's false, but still I wonder if my earliest exposures to great music came via that cartoon. It seems I recall Rossini's Barber of Seville as background music for some wacky caper. I must hie me to the 'Net and see what a google search reveals for “classical music” + “bugs bunny”…..
Paydirt!: “I grew up watching Bugs Bunny, Tom and Jerry, and Popeye cartoons, because they were regularly shown on the independent stations here in St. Louis…Those cartoons helped develop my love of classical music. Rossini’s overtures were popular with cartoonists, as were Liszt’s Hungarian rhapsodies and Brahms’ Hungarian dances. In cartoon-land, Beethoven’s Moonlight Sonata became synonymous with quiet, moonlit scenes…”
Paydirt II: “Comedian Jerry Seinfeld once observed that his entire understanding of high culture / classical music was derived from Bugs Bunny cartoons.”
Proof again that it seems pretty impossible to come up with an independent thought. Anyway, I wonder if today's kids get any of this wonderful taste of Western culture?

No comments: