June 27, 2013

Quotable....

Excerpts from a Pope Francis book...last one is Bergoglio's personal prayer

“Prayer should serve to unify people: it is a moment when we all say exactly the same words”, declares Rabbi Skorka.

*
“Prayer is speaking and listening. There are moments of profound silence, of adoration, waiting for the time to pass.”

*
The new pope also knows well the reality of the Evangelical sects, which are spreading more and more in Latin America. Luis Palau, one of the world leaders of Evangelical Christians, has told stories of his friendship with Bergoglio. And the pastor of Buenos Aires, Juan Pablo Bongarrá, recalls: “He asked us, too, to pray for him.”

*

Also interesting is the reference to the pastoral experience of the Cardinal of Buenos Aires, which, in connection with the formation of candidates for the priesthood, recalls the choices made in his diocese: “We accept into the seminary only about 40 percent of those who apply. There may be, for example, a psychological phenomenon: pathologies or neuroses of persons who are looking for external security.


*
He presents faith as a gift that must be passed on, a gift to be offered to others and to be shared as a gratuitous act. It is not a possession, but a mission.

*
through the Year of Faith, we remember the gift we have received. And there are three pillars to this: the memory of having been chosen, the memory of the promise that was made to us, and the alliance that God has forged with us.

*
the creator of both difference and unity is the Holy Spirit himself.

*
     I want to believe in God the Father, who loves me as a son, and in Jesus, our Lord, who has poured his Spirit into my life so as to make me smile and thus to bring me to the eternal kingdom of life.      I believe in my past, which was transfixed by God’s look of love, and on the first day of spring, September 21, he led me to an encounter so as to invite me to follow him.      I believe in my suffering, sterile because of the egotism in which I take refuge.      I believe in the misery of my soul, which seeks to gorge itself without giving . . . without giving.      I believe that others are good and that I must love them fearlessly and without ever betraying them so as to seek any security of my own.      I believe in religious life.      I believe in wanting to love much.      I believe in dying daily, being consumed, which I flee, but which smiles, inviting me to accept it.      I believe in God’s patience, which is welcoming and good like a summer night.      I believe that Papa [i.e., Mario Bergoglio] is in heaven together with the Lord.      I believe that Padre Duarte is there, too, interceding for my priesthood.      I believe in Mary, my mother, who loves me and will never abandon me. And I look forward to the surprise of every day, in which love, strength, betrayal, and fear will appear, which will accompany me until the definitive encounter with that marvelous face that I continually flee, although I do not know what it is like, but that I want to know and love. Amen.

No comments: