September 11, 2013

A Hodge-Podge of Discontinued Items

Sometimes I think political elites live in a different universe.

Because, for the life of me, this Syria "humanitarian bombing" mission is beyond my ken. I don't see how it's even a tough call.  Who died and left us the policeman of the world?  Did I miss a U.N. vote on that?  Why is it ours to "punish" Assad for killing thousands when we kill millions of unborn children?  It's wrong on so many levels, but the irony is that Assad didn't sign a chemical weapons ban while we would be violating the UN Charter we are a party to.

But then this president thinks rules don't apply to him.

Surprising to see "regular Joe" Bill O'Reilly back the bombing but then he's a frustrated policeman (which is why Dennis Miller calls him 'Officer O'Reilly').

Sorry, had to get that off my chest.  Back to regularly scheduled weather programming.

*

Speaking of television programming, there are so many bleeps on reality shows that you know the producers are instructing people to cuss constantly.  Which means, of course, that people like hearing other people swear and get titillation over the Pavlovian sound of the bleep.  Can't we grow up?  I don't get what's so exciting about it.  It's almost as boring as Miley Cyrus.

*

Speaking of growing up, read a piece on Patheos about a daughter having to raise her mother, how there's a second childhood going on.  Presumably due to dementia, so there's that huge extenuating circumstance, but it's kind of discouraging that late adulthood is often said to be a return to childhood.  I think what bothers me, naturally, is the dependence angle as well as the loss of whatever feeble self-mastery over our passions we may have acquired through the years.  A good reminder, I suppose, that everything is in God's hands, not ours.

*

Speaking of passions, our work area lists our birthdays each month in the elevator lobby area. Sometimes I count back nine months to see when the parents had sex.  So juvenile (see my blog title). 

*

Speaking of nascent revelations, sometimes I wonder if the order the Bible was received matters.  For example, the book of Job is said to have been written first, and those chronologically-arranged bibles might be interesting simply as an unfolding of revelation.  I'm sure it's not that neat and crisp though since first, there's a lot of oral tradition before things get written down and secondly, we don't really know when a lot of the books were written with any degree of certainty.

*

Speaking of the Bible, I love this affective sentiment analysis.  I think it explains why books like Paul's letters and Isaiah are so universally loved versus books like Amos and such being less beloved.

(Other bible info-graphics found here.)

No comments: