February 10, 2015

Predictable Crises in Corp Life

Never underestimate the power of a saved work email. There's power in it!  Almost magical, mystical power!  Wasted six days trying to get what I got last year before pulling out le' trump card: that of the work email from the previous year.  Finally when I forwarded that note (which, thank God, I'd saved as a record otherwise it'd have been automatically erased), it jogged his memory.  "Exas", meet "perating".  My commentary in italics.  
From: Thomas
To: Jay
Date: 02/04/2015 01:41 PM
Subject: Ber. Submission
Hello Jay,
I'm doing the mort study and one of steps is to send data to Ber. to try to confirm/find deaths. 
I have the submission ready and was wondering if you're still the contact, where to put it, etc...
****
From: Jay
To: Thomas
Date: 02/04/2015 01:49 PM
Subject: Re: Ber. Submission
How big (number of lives) is your data set?
 Hmm...Not sure why that's important. I'll answer by reminding him that it's the same size as last year.
****
From: Thomas
To: Jay D  
Date: 02/04/2015 01:54 PM
Subject: Re: Ber. Submission
It's approximately the same size as last year's submission, a CSV file with about 800,000 records. 
           ****
From: Jay D
To: Thomas
Date: 02/04/2015 02:02 PM
Subject: Re: Ber. Submission
You will prob have to find a shared drive we have in common to drop the file for me.
Here is a list of mine....
[attachment "Screen shot.pdf" deleted by Thomas ] 
*****
From: Thomas
To: Jay D  
Date: 02/04/2015 02:59 PM
Subject: Re: Ber. Submission
Okay, I've copied it:
[attachment deleted]
*****
From: Jay D
To: Thomas
Date: 02/05/2015 02:05 PM
Subject: Re: Ber. Submission
What line of business are your lives from and what is the source system?
Reason I ask is I may be able to get your data from our monthly search results archive without incurring additional cost.
Rut-row....this isn't going particularly well.  I responded with the info requested and then waited till the next day before offering a helpful suggestion.
*****
----- Forwarded by Thomas  on 02/10/2015 09:19 AM -----
From: Thomas
To: Jay D  
Date: 02/06/2015 01:35 PM
Subject: Re: Ber. Submission
Maybe this is something we could explore towards the goal of implementing next year? 
         *****

Lack of response made me wonder if maybe he thought I was thinking the whole thing could be put off.
From: Thomas
To: Jay D  
Date: 02/10/2015 09:20 AM
Subject: Fw: Ber. Submission
Of course by "implementing next year" I was referring to the new solution rather than to omit submitting records to Ber. 
*****
From: Jay D
To: Thomas
Date: 02/10/2015 09:23 AM
Subject: Re: Fw: Ber. Submission
Yesd, I understand.  I am still working with your data.
Uh-oh. Time to call in the bigger guns. This is already running late. 
*****
From: Thomas
To: Jay D  
Date: 02/10/2015 09:53 AM
Subject: Re: Fw: Ber. Submission
I ran it by my director, and he said we would definitely pay the cost.   How much is it?   I can give you my disbursement code... 
Name your price, just send the data puh-lease! 
*****
From: Jay D
To: Thomas
Date: 02/10/2015 10:12 AM
Subject: Re: Fw: Ber. Submission
At $.25 per record the cost for 798,738 records is $199,241.

$199 thousand dollars?!  Holy bat scat!
******
From: Thomas
To: Jay D  
Date: 02/10/2015 10:22 AM
Subject: Re: Fw: Ber. Submission
Can you help me understand how this submission is different than last year's?  Did it cost $199k then or has something changed? 
Master of the understatement am I.  
*****
----- Forwarded by Thomas  on 02/10/2015 01:47 PM -----
From: Jay D
To: Thomas
Date: 02/10/2015 10:31 AM
Subject: Re: Fw: Ber. Submission
I would presume that we would not have sent to Ac. because of that.  
Whereupon I forward the magic email from last year.
From: Jay D
To: Thomas
Date: 02/10/2015 11:01 AM
Subject: Re: Fw: Ber. Submission
ok....In looking at the e-mail chain and the files sent and received that jogged my memory.  We sent to Ber. using our Audit search.  This is pennies on the dollar compared to sending Acc.  I will get this over today for you.

Remember this familiar ol' cartoon?  The "miracle occurs here" is producing old email:

No comments: