June 17, 2015

Who Am I to Leak?

So have you heard the environmental encyclical got leaked?  I predict you have. I find the “heinous” adjective used by someone in the Vatican to be heinous. (Is that heinous of me?) It's not exactly murder to have leaked a document four days early, even a draft copy.

(And lo and behold, I find Jeff Miller says similarly:
I have seen multiple reports of somebody in the Vatican calling this a “heinous act”, although have not seen a actual source for this. If accurate this is pure hyperbole. Yes reprisal against Magister is appropriate for violating the embargo, “heinous act”? — not really. As if this Encyclical needed more drama involved.)
I like the idea of an environmental “win-win” in which I buy solar panels and hope for an eventual break-even on lessened electricity costs. That's a lot easier than alternatives involving more self-sacrifice and more spiritual merit.

As Curt Jester also goes on to say:
Still it will be an interesting upside down week when progressive Catholics tell us how we must obey the Pope’s teachings and conservative Catholics tell us how we don’t have to. 
Probably same as it ever was, since we usually measure the standard rather than let the standard measure us.

3 comments:

William Luse said...

"...and conservative Catholics tell us how we don’t have to."

Did he happen to mention what teaching the Pope sets forth in this encyclical that would require my obedience?

TS said...

I think the teaching is you need to go this summer without a/c. Obviously easier for this me than you Floridian but you'll have a higher place in Heaven. (Admittedly you already do but...)

William Luse said...

"I think the teaching is you need to go this summer without a/c."

Hah. I'm doomed.