September 01, 2015

Seven Short Takes

Amused by a new bone found in a yard owned by our neighbor's dog. They passed the contraband through gaps in the fence, like adjoining cellmates.

*

Nature has favored us with a bounty: more peaches than we can eat, plenty of tomatoes, raspberries. The peach tree reminds me of the miracle of the loaves and fishes, so much do we have leftover. There's rarely ever a case where we have much more food than we can eat. Normally we buy or make dinners individually, enough for one meal, and so we never have that feeling of bounty. The closest I've come to it is with books, since I have more books than I can read, and at Half-Price sale this summer there was more than I could even look at let alone purchase.

Whoa, the new normal goes thus: wake to pitch dark at 6:30 accompanied by temperatures of sixty degrees. That's no summer I know! Fall has come – in attitude if not in name.

*

The sunflower strikes me as the most Christian of flowers, a silent reproach to selfishness. She moves her head towards the sun, facing east in the morning, west at dusk until that time her seed-laden head dips from the weight, like Christ's on the cross, sacrificing her wont for others.

*

"Look up Luke 24:11!" she told me over the phone.

This was the day after I had said that the apostles didn't disbelieve the women who said Christ had risen simply because they were women.

"But the text says nothing of the sort. Says merely they thought of their talk as 'idle chatter'. Not 'womanly chatter'.  Likely the message itself would be the source of disbelief."

There's a lot of sensitivity out there.

*

In high school I was once given a punishment of having to write a 500 word essay for skipping gym. I wrote 5,000 words. Definitely the wrong "punishment” for a would-be writer.

*

I have this utterly irrational desire to spend a couple hundred dollars and complete my Chesterton collection, via his complete works by Ignatius Press. This is foolhardy because I read GK only occasionally; I should far more since a saner voice one could scarcely imagine. This mania for ownership was prompted by an offhand comment in a book that mentioned his essay on Macbeth.

I'll lie down until the feeling goes away.

(Later): Funny Chesterton comment on a lesson to be taken from Shakespeare's Macbeth:
“Distrust those malevolent spirits who speak flatteringly to you. They are not benevolent spirits; if they were they would be more likely to beat you about the head.”
That from his book The Spice of Life and Other Essays which I managed to snag for $2.99 on Nook (read via Nook app on iPad). A $35 out of print book!

Chesterton goes on to say how man cannot separate his life into separate parts and that free love doesn't work: “We can't talk about abolishing the tragedy of marriage when you cannot abolish the tragedy of sex….The basis of all tragedy is that man lives a coherent and continuous life. It is only a worm you can cut in two and have the separate parts live.”

More: “Macbeth has all manner of physical courage…and even moral courage. But he lacks spiritual courage, he lacks a certain freedom and dignity of the human soul in the universe, a freedom and dignity which one of the scriptural writers expresses as the difference between servants and the sons of God.”

*

I took one of the grandboys with me to pick Max and Ermas because he wanted to go with (go figure). We hopalong'd and then dined on the back patio. Then off on bikes to the ice cream store. The skin-caressing heat left me hungry to bike  longer, but 5-year old was sweaty, which, along with insects, he takes as disagreeable. He's all Brahmin.


No comments: