March 03, 2016

What concerns me most about Trump

What concerns me most about Trump is not that he's not a conservative. There's a decent chance he would govern to the right of Hillary. He might nominate a better justice on the Court.

I worry about his threat of tariffs and potentially starting a great depression.

I don't like how he wants to fiddle with libel laws.

I don't like how he tells people who are against him, like the Chicago Cubs owners, to "be careful...They better be careful, they have a lot to hide!"  Reminds me of how Obama used IRS to audit enemies. Trump seems very Nixon and Obama-like there.

I used to not worry too much about the character of the president since the founding fathers provided a check-and-balance mechanism that would keep a rogue branch of government in check, but Obama really taught me (via executive orders and such) that there's no alternative to a president of character.

Then I came across the thought of one of the wisest men in history, Edmund Burke, and it hit me like a ton of bricks:
"Constitute government how you please, infinitely the greater part must depend upon the prudence and uprightness of ministers of state." 
Rut row!

Update: Zmirak on Trump.

No comments: