April 06, 2016

Who Needs a Segue When You've Got a Segway?

Fun to see at a tech site a picture of the author's Kindle screen with a quote rather than something banal like "Joe's Kindle": 


My Kindle screen shot from last eve:



 *

Prairie Oaks, the lake with white caps….ahhhh. What is better than a sunny (if chilly) day in Spring walking a modest 1.7 miles around the lake with Maris and Steph? There's just something about water that heals the soul. Makes me want to go to Hilton Head.  Makes Steph want to go to Camp Creek, WV.

*

Climate change makes for freakish weather, and today we had gusts exceeding 50mph that, incredibly, took the top half of one of the evergreens in the backyard down. It's a tree planted 18 years ago, and now it's suddenly half as high as it used to be. The tree seems pretty young in tree terms, still green and vibrant. Amazing the power of that wind.

*

Can MLB's spring training season be over already? I'm not sure I'm ready for the real thing. I was enjoying - via the MLB app - all the “meaningless” games, only I didn't see them as meaningless. For one thing, they're certainly meaningful for up-and-comers who are trying to make the major league roster (much like Columbus Clipper games are meaningful). For another thing, the Reds are already mathematically eliminated from the 2016 race, if by “mathematically” one means the career statistics of the players they'll be fielding. And finally, I enjoyed the unfailingly sunny climes the spring training games issued from: Arizona, Florida - and mostly day games. Who needs the regular season given these circumstances? The MLB app has effectively made late February the opening day of baseball for me. I get to watch games, read the baseball book guides on individual players and not have losses mean anything. That's not bad actually.

*

I wonder sometimes if I expected too little of myself.  It's easy to say that on the cusp of the end of a career, like how that 50-something who hired me confessed he'd wished he'd worked for a small company. Viva le difference. Or, you could say, success is proof you underachieved and maybe in the spiritual life as well. Imagine Peter, Paul and Mary (Magdalene) without their failures. They failed upward. It breeds humility.

In the business sense it's the Peter Principle; you ain't really trying if you haven't been promoted to the place where you're incompetent.

I can think of times in my life I was overly bold: joining the fraternity which is something on paper I wasn't suited for. Or was I insufficiently bold by virtue of my unwillingness to cut the umbilical cord to my childhood friend? As it played out, that cord would be severed nonetheless proving you can't go home again. Nolo tangeliere.

It's easy to look back after having had a successful career (one defined as not having been fired, in my low expectations) that maybe despite appearances I was smarter and played the game better than I thought. Perhaps you only get the confidence after the game is done, the retirement money in the bank.

*

I liked this commentary:
“Raymond Brown suggests that today’s Gospel may be Luke’s answer to those folks in his community—and ours—who look back with nostalgia to the first generation of Jesus’ followers. They imagine that their faith would be stronger had they seen the risen Lord with their own eyes. Luke’s story aims to show them otherwise. The two disciples walk and talk with Jesus on the road to Emmaus. But reflecting on the Scriptures makes their hearts burn, and they only recognize the risen Jesus in the breaking of the bread. Luke’s point is that those same means of knowing the Lord—the Scriptures and the breaking of bread—are available to Christians of every generation in the life and liturgy of the Church.”
It's easy, for me at least, to pit these two experiences against one another. To see Catholics as primarily about the sacraments and Protestants as primarily about the Bible. These two things should be in balance, it seems, or both reinforcing one another in a “virtuous cycle”. We read the Scriptures to burn with hunger for the consummation of Communion.

I considered how Christ was more identifiable by his wounds than even his face given the many “I didn't recognize him” in the Resurrection accounts. It's notable that Thomas the Apostle didn't say, “I won't believe it unless I see his face myself.” What symbolism is there in that? That Christ wanted to be remembered for his wounds for us and by us?

*

Amused to see my old hometown southwest Ohio paper use the word “loose” for “lose” in one of the articles. The Journal is famous for mistakes, and I wondered if times had changed.

Watched some Reds-Phillies opener and saw Reds overcame a 2-1 deficit enroute to a 6-2 win. Especially good to see Joey Votto, who inexplicably didn't come out when announced at game time and struck out ugly three straight times, hit a big single up the middle for a couple ribbies. Hoover tried to lose it (or loose it) in the 9th by giving up two extra base hits except the Reds fielders refused by making a couple highlight reel catches. So a very satisfying 8th and 9th. Reds could finish at .500! All they have to do is go 80-81 from here on out…

No comments: