| |
It is a strange and delicate thing, being both someone's child and someone's parent. There are things I understand only because of these dual roles, like the fact that no matter how old I get I will always be my mothers “baby”. But knowing this does not always do as much good as I would like. - Blogger at "Wheel Revolution"
I amaze myself with my fascination with this stuff. As the possibility that any party will nominate a candidate I could whole-heartedly support (or support at all without a sore conscience) vanishes to zero, I become more and more intoxicated with all the political to-ing and fro-ing. Not the issues, mind. There's very little of that sort of discussion anyway, and when there is, it's impossible to tell if any of these folks are telling the truth. But the political positioning is absorbing, a sort of year long dance or fencing match. - John at "The Inn at the End of the World"
We went into this trendy urban department store place. You know the kind, patchwork shorts and oodles of orange or fuschia or this season's color, whatever it may be. Walking in past the cosmetics counter we were greeted by this woman whose hair reminded me of the Gary Oldham do in The Fifth Element but was shaggier. The bangs were like a shiny black paint and the hair on the sides looked kind of matte black. The overall effect was such that I thought, "Woman, you really need to do something with that hair." Then I realized, much to my horror, that she had already done something with it and this was the result! Ah fashion, I'll never get it. - Steven of Flos Carmeli
A recent anonymous poster has asked the question about the legitimacy of this website and whether or not we are a really and truly Catholic Christians. I know that the Spirit of Vatican 2 Catholic Faith Community closely resembled an actual church and that many have been "taken in" as it were. So many faith communities have sermons delivered by brains in jars, red-communists FARC gorilla warriors, vegetarian monkish communities, spirit mazes possessed by the spirits of dead mice, human sacrifices performed by redneck witches, and Scientology based celebrity crazed socio-ecological youth groups... that it is easy to be duped into believing SOV2 is a real place. That of course was our plan. To fool people into thinking we actually existed in order to further our secret agenda which is namely... to bring down the Catholic Church from within. You caught us. We are ashamed of ourselves. That is... we would be ashamed of ourselves if we actually existed. The fact is I do not exist. I have never existed and I will never exist. There is no me at all. I am not typing this... it is all a hallucination brought about by excessive devotion to the Pope. I am just a phantom of your imagination. In fact you do not exist either. You are an illusion in a book by Richard Bach who is actually only a discarded idea in a book by Anthony De Mello, who in turn was actually a momentary whim of Charles Curran. But Charles Curran does not exist either. He is merely the confluence of patterns within the texture of the noosphere. - Blogger at "Spirit of Vatican 2" parody site
Now the last three categories I reeeeeeally qualify for. Best Catholic Blog by an Individual-I am Catholic. I am an Individual. Therefore I at least should have received a nomination. Obviously competition is steep on this one as there are many individual Catholics out there with blogs...Best written? All I can say is that I enjoy reading my own blog more than anyone else's...Finally we come to the granddaddy of them all....Best Overall Catholic Blog. I guess the real criteria here is giving the complete package. Look, I let you know when blogging will be light. I give previews of what's ahead. I tell you what I'm reading. I tell you how many eggs we get on a daily basis (practically). I give you details of my Saturday chores. I post pictures just because I can. I plug my business. I let you all know every time I post something to one of my other neglected blogs. I let you know what movies I watch and songs I sing. I even let you know the day I start working on my taxes... Do I need to go on? - Jim of Bethune Catholic
I’m an INFP - strong, strong, strong on all of it. I’m basically a disorganized quiet person who’s watching you and sucking up the vibes you’re putting out like a sponge. And then probably writing about it, so be careful. On days when everyone is around all day, I must stay up later than everyone in order to feel like I exist. I don’t mean that overdramatically, I just mean that my self doesn’t feel really connected until it’s…quiet and I can process stuff in my head. - Amy Welborn
Hillary is the next president, [Christopher Hitchens] told radio's Hugh Hewitt, because "there's something horrible and undefeatable about people who have no life except the worship of power. . . people who don't want the meeting to end, the people who just are unstoppable, who only have one focus, no humanity, no character, nothing but the worship of money and power. They win in the end." - via John at "The Inn at the End of the World"
Did I ever mention that I had lunch with [E. Michael]. Jones? Interesting fellow. He told me about a book he wrote about the Harlem Renaissance. Drawing from the words of a contemporary of the Renaissance, he wanted to call it “Nigger Hell.” The publisher said he wouldn’t print a book with that title. Jones jokingly offered to rename it “Nigger Heck.” He told me all this in a slightly loud voice, with black people sitting in the vicinity. It was a bit uncomfortable, but funny. Although I admired his writing, enjoyed his novel approaches, and appreciated that he published a few early pieces of mine, our views turned out not to be entirely compatible, so I fell out of touch. - Eric of "The Daily Eudemon"
'The simplest reason that Americans understand the Inquisition as a Catholic horror is that we speak English. The books available in English (Poe’s The Pit and the Pendulum!) about this period of history were written more as justification for England's defection to Protestantism and as a political defense of England while at war with Spain . . .' [writes] Mary Jo Anderson of 'Properly Scared'...The English language--and English literature--may come with a lot of emotional anti-Inquisition baggage, but at least both are more tolerant of the Crusades. King Richard I casts far too romantic a shadow over Robin Hood, Little John, Maid Marian and even Sir Guy of Gisborne for the English to want to get rid of him... Priests may be creepy, but kings are okay. - Sancta Sanctis
No comments:
Post a Comment