November 19, 2004

Drinking Game Suggestion & Blogging about Metablogging

I didn't read Gerard's blog as much as I ought to have. His optimism and cheery disposition are a necessary antidote for these times, perhaps for all times.

One of the things that fascinates is the diversity among St. Blog's and the different approaches taken. There are intensely personal blogs and less so. My temptation is to think of those bloggers who never met a personal pronoun as minor saints. Certainly Donna Marie Lewis is the Cal Ripken of bloggers when it comes to that. A possible drinking game is to pick a month in her archives and take a drink every time she posted about Ven. Newman or St. Philip Neri. And I admire her for it because it's difficult to imagine saying things that Cardinal Newman didn't say better. Video meliora... Still, I'm not sure it's necessary to give up the personal even though narcissism is to blogs what hot air is to popcorn. The way I look at it writing is a form of therapy and cheaper than a $100 an hour analyst.

And in "The Christian Imagination: G.K. Chesterton on the Arts", Chesterton defends the amateur and those who would practice art without a license or talent. And what of autobiographies of unknowns? Every life is said to contain at least one novel. Perhaps even one blog. Regardless, narcissism will be recognized by the market and go unpublished & unread & or no blog hits. Penalty enough.

No comments: