July 13, 2006

   Various & Sundry

The garden has mostly taken it on the chin these days. The Great Patio Build took precedence recently and it's becoming apparent that the sunflowers and corn that never really looked much like sunflower and corn plants did turn out to be weeds. Though I'm hoping for a remarkable transformation. I don't know what happened to the seeds I planted. They've got to be in there somewhere but I'm about ready to cede (seed!) defeat and mow that half of the garden down. The radishes got planted too late, which somehow results in no root and all stalk. There are little white flowers so I guess there's my "flower substitute".

The four tomato plants - the other half of the garden - are doing quite well. It's the "money crop" not because there's any money in it but because they're the big boys (no pun intended), the heavy hitters of garden goodness. They're getting fecund, with those large loping green tendrils. Last week I took a hoe and removed the weeds surrounding them and now the stark, dark earth against their stellar greenness is so attractive that I wonder why I didn't do it earlier. If weeds cut yield I don't much care. That they spoil the look is determinative and I'm quite taken with the look of those green ships navigating the soil's stormy ridges.
__

I'm disturbed by the lack of blog activity on the part of a few who shall remain namless but here's a Riddle: Ham o' Bone collins's without apologia and exultet is plumbline-tired I guess, though that's open to disputation. Vita brevis indeed as camassia vanishes into a lofted nest.
__

"First do no harm!" cries the Hippocratic Oath and given the Reds losing streak going into the all star break I welcomed the downtime like a patient undergoing bypass surgery performed by Stevie Wonder would. My Ode to Joy:Nothing bad can happen during the All-Star break. You've heard of the saying, "Spahn and Sain then pray for rain"? With the Reds is more like, "Pray for rain..and rain...and more rain".

No comments: