April 25, 2008

Did He Just Say That?

Watched the D.C. papal Mass on tape; given the patische nature of it I can see why the liturgists in the crowd are recoiling in pain. There is something so seamless in an Eastern liturgy by contrast; the nature of the Byzantine liturgy allows one to enter into it fully and to lose consciousness of earthly things. This liturgy was one in which you were constantly jolted by the next "act", as if attending a variety show.

It wasn't terrible in any of its parts, but I think it did faithfully represent the mediocre state of music in the church these days. Although there was certainly something for everyone in it - I loved the songs accompanying Benedict into and out of the stadium.

I heard Fr. Neuhaus, in the EWTN commentary, try to sneak in something in, in that classic hushed, "golf announcer" tone:
"We have not been given background notes as to who to credit for introducing the Holy Father to aspects of the aesthetic suffering endured by the faithful in America."
Ha! I had to rewind and play it again in order to confirm he was taking a shot at the organizers. It was marvelous in its subterfuge - he said it so calmly as to give all indication that he was praising the organizers. It was also said cryptically enough, as if by design, as if intending that for those not paying much attention it'd could've been missed, perhaps by those non-elites who might be fans of the music. (Reminds me of how I bury things in trip logs that I don't want to emphasize, figuring only a few would read in full.) Fr. Neuhaus seemed to say in a lot of words such that the word 'suffering' might be missed.

Unfortunately I didn't tape the Masses at Yankee stadium or St. Patrick's Cathedral, which I've heard were edifying and very reverent and inspiring.

I thought it was great to hear the Pope, Peter that is, say the vernacular words and phrases that are so familiar to us such as "Lord, I am not worthy to receive You, but only say the word..." in the D.C. Mass. The somewhat distant figure of the Pope saying those words was sort of like St. Peter himself coming back to earth and saying those words. It furthers the connection in a way stronger, I think, that if we were all saying Latin (since Latin is nobody's native tongue).

No comments: