August 14, 2004

Random Thoughts

I've long appreciated oxymorons, but when I saw someone at the local mart buying a welcome mat that read "Go Away", I had to shake my head.
_

A utilitarian notion of life has long turned me off since it reeks of “I am what I produce”. It is also essentially anti-art since art is naturally superfluous. But age sets a trajectory towards utilitarianism since we're on earth to do good and have such a short time. Heard the song “Y-M-C-A” on the radio and for the first time it occured to me: ‘it’s not addressed to me!’ I’m not the “young man” the singer kept mentioning...(plus I'm too straight).
_

The sheer shock of your words having impact is an oddity on the order of creation itself. Given the differences between taste and palate, it’s a wonder anybody overcomes distances with words. For fragile symbols employed meaningfully to cause even momentary gratitude is an astonishing thing and something to be cherished.

No comments: