July 09, 2007

Breaking News

My understanding is that something called Motu Proprio has just been promulgated. "Motu Proprio" is Latin for "many posts" and has already lived up to its name.

I'm not an expert on things liturgical but Motu, or MP for short, concerns the re-living of the year 1962 in a sort of Groundhog's Day redux.

But to get serious for a minute, the natural concern is for a further fracturing of the Roman Catholic community along liturgical lines. I propose this is not a problem because the difference between a respectful Novus Ordo Mass and a Saturday guitar Mass complete with liturgical dancers is at least as wide a chasm as between the Old Mass and the respectful Novus Ordo. But I have no statistical backing on that. Parishes in my neck of the woods are as different as girls and boys; that is, there are some with kneelers for Communion and long Confession lines and others which offer "Hippy Masses" with old folk songs.

My 1996 visit to an SSPX 1962 Mass was astonishingly different from my Latin Mass visit, (where the New Mass is simply said in Latin). I can't recall all the differences except to say the former felt much more other-wordly.

Remember what you paid for this post!

No comments: